Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Runs Like a NEW MOTOR!! Oil Pump & Front end seals, T belts & Idlers+tensioners = AMAZING

Thank you all you great guys out here on USMB - I couldn't have done it right with out you - probably would have messed it up.

I wasn't ticking too bad, but now ZERO - and super quite overall! Also did water pump, hoses and seal on metal pipe that goes into pump. Sealed up some cracks in my air intake snorkel with RTV, fixed anything I found along the way and now it's super quite and smooth. No "bubbles and water fall" sounds coming out of coolant system. No scary stuff with the temperature almost going into danger before thermostat opens. Im pretty sure the last couple of days before the belt broke it had lost at least a tooth and jumped a tooth cause it was feeling out of balance when idling - that's the main reason I kind of why I thought it might be a waste doing this job - and I REALLY didn't want to tear it all the way down, I would have sold it or junked it. It really feels like I have a brand new rebuilt motor! To me it's amazing there is such a difference.

AND NO OIL DRIPPING (yet) all over the bottom of the timing belts, which would spread into the exhaust pipe and start burning & smoking if on the freeway very long!

It's almost like a dream...

Thanks again

Edited by Craigar
  • Like 6

Well done. Now just wait for the EA82 naysayers to pipe up

They are just an engine that gives and gives, then just once in a while deserves a freshen up which many have no time,patience or money for -so never find out

Seen this time and again, done right gives owner joy once the cost pain is forgotten

Once had a tight wad fighter pilot finally surrender to insistence his EA82 got new lifters along with his reseal and belt kit, water pump and hoses. Was ever so thankful for the result

Edited by Steptoe
  • Like 2

My EA82 lasted for 257,000 miles with little or no maintenance before it finally blew a head gasket. I bought the car for the going rate of scrap at the time (about 5 years ago). I took the engine out and completely rebuilt it, pistons & rings, bearings, all new timing components, water pump, lapped the valves, etc. I have been driving it for 5 years now. It's clean and quiet and runs great. It gets good gas mileage too. It has enough power for what it is and it still has the original oil pump, hah.

The SPFI is soon to be replaced with a multi-port Spyder setup.

Congrats to you! Good work :)

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 2

Really is a "farm tractor" quality & ease of maintenance motor - I heard this motor (maybe EA81) back in 1985 in a Fuji Forklift! really dug the way it sounds - kinda like a pair of harleys with more time between the pair of thumps (Harley maybe 40 degrees between power strokes and 180 on these ) especially if listening off to one side.

Crazyeights

- you are courageous, if you have SPFI (like mine) their single port intake heads (for pair of cylinders), so I think you gotta replace the heads.. and that makes it easy to do a whole top end rebuild!

Edited by Craigar

15 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Well done. Now just wait for the EA82 naysayers to pipe up

They are just an engine that gives and gives, then just once in a while deserves a freshen up which many have no time,patience or money for -so never find out

Seen this time and again, done right gives owner joy once the cost pain is forgotten

Once had a tight wad fighter pilot finally surrender to insistence his EA82 got new lifters along with his reseal and belt kit, water pump and hoses. Was ever so thankful for the result

Where can I source new lifters for the EA82?