Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedometer lag?

I have an 87 gl wagon with an EA82 motor in it. i just got it running and driving. i noticed the speedometer lags behind. no matter the conditions its always the same slow lag. after i reach my speed it takes about 5 seconds for it to finally catch up. i cant find anything online about a slow speedo. does anyone on here have any ideas as to whats causing it/how to fix it?

check, lube or replace the speedo cable is the easier option of my two suggestions. The second involves getting speedo head out and checking how clean or gunked up its little cogs are and find a white lithium grease (if you did not chuck it out Jono ! ) to apply to the small white nylon cogs and shafts

Mine runs about 5 miles slower than the speed I'm actually going. I need to have it calibrated. 

Odd thing, when I bought the car new in '86 the speedometer cable broke (!) at 18K miles and had to be replaced. Haven't had to fool with it since but I'm pretty sure if I get pulled over for going 30 in a 25 mph zone no cop is going to accept the faulty speedometer excuse.