Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Thumping' noise from rear when braking.

Hi All,  I've noticed that when I brake fairly heavily there is a thumping noise from the left rear of my Brumby, it seems to be about wheel rotation speed.

Under light braking I don't notice any noise, it SEEMS the harder I brake the louder the thump and it only happens when I brake, not at any other time.

I'ts not a harsh metal to metal type noise, it's almost the noise I'd expect if the tyre had a bulge that was hitting something (If you know what I mean!) 

On 11/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, el_freddo said:

You could have a dead bearing too. 

Definietly jack the suspect wheel off the ground and rotate it. I reckon the issue will become pretty obvious. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I did that, it all seemed smooth.

I did notice I could rotate the hub a tiny amount before the axle shaft turrned does this indicate excessive play in the outer cvj? 

There was no knock but there was that little bit of play.

Typically a CV joint beginning to fail will be more noticeable by a "popping" sound often more pronounced when turning one way or the other. I didn't notice in your description the exact vehicle, but I'm assuming you have a 4wd since you mention a cv in the rear? If the axle nut is tight for sure, I would recommend pulling the rear wheel and checking the drum assembly as well. I once had one of the brake shoe springs let go and made a thumping/clanging sound rolling around inside.