Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing front brakes

1984 GL FWD

I am having the hardest time getting new pads installed on the old calipers... Initially when I first tried to compress the piston on the right side it went in but would pop right back out after releasing pressure. The left side now upon trying it the piston won't even move (this is after draining a good amount of brake fluid from the master cylinder)

A couple questions:

1. Why can't I compress the pistons and what could I do to fix it or make it easier?

2. If I want to change the whole front brake calipers, what is the process for removing that?

If the piston face has notches, then the pistons must be spun into the caliper.  If you try to compress them with a clamp or other device you can damage them.  A special tool is made that can be helpful.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/brake-tool/oem-rear-disc-brake-cube-for-use-with-3-8-in-drive-tool/2363_0_0

The notches must be aligned perpendicular to the caliper when in final position.

Edited by Dee2

Are you using a tool to turn the piston into the caliper ? Or just pressing straight in ? You need to turn it in. There’s a simple box shaped tool with shaped “nubs” that fit in the slot on the piston. Most parts stores have them or buy online , they’re cheap.

To change a caliper is not that hard. Plenty of tutorials out there I’m sure on YouTube too. You can do it. Have a second person or brake bleed kit for working on your own to bleed the system when you’re done. I’ve done that by myself with no bleeder tool but that’s another story you don’t need to hear right now. But yeah , you can do it.

My dealer parts counter guy (older not some punk) directed me to Autoparts International who are suppliers to that dealership for rebuilt calipers. He knew I was in a pinch and we have a relationship of over 2 decades so he saved me like $ 150 easy from buying thru the dealership. 

Plenty of sources. I’m just letting you know that my reputable dealer also sells you these same calipers marked up outrageously. Your local may have another source. 

2 hours ago, Dee2 said:

If the piston face has notches, then the pistons must be spun into the caliper.  If you try to compress them with a clamp or other device you can damage them.  A special tool is made that can be helpful.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/brake-tool/oem-rear-disc-brake-cube-for-use-with-3-8-in-drive-tool/2363_0_0

The notches must be aligned perpendicular to the caliper when in final position.

Ah yes you are correct! It is okay if I damaged them, actually ordered new calipers just wanted to get it driving. Going to get that tool just to have it on hand since it will arrive before my calipers.

4 hours ago, Subuhrue said:

Not a big deal, I will send them in to be remanufactured after my replacements come in!

Thanks for the help everyone

It’s silly easy to rebuild them yourself.  Rebuild kit is a couple bucks.  Remove piston, assess any rust, replace seal around piston and piston boot as you reassemble.