Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i currently do not have pictures of the car but i can do my best to describe it. it is a 2001 outback has the wood trim interior is clean complete all working exterior is ok has some scratches and dings poor rust repair in the rear but solid 180,000 miles new head gaskets last month my mom wants nothing more to do with it and is tired of putting money into it the transmission failed. i want to buy it from her for the 500 she wants and put a trans in it then sell it what should i ask for if i do this? i was thinking it could be worth around 1800 in its current shape with everything mechanically and electrically working with new head gaskets am i right on this price?

The local demand and norm for used Subaru prices will determine the value.

Here in CO a car with rust is a big issue and no one wants them.  $500 for a 2001 with a bad trans is more than I'd pay, but hey it's your Mom.  I'd rather change 3 engines than an auto trans as they are very heavy and a beast to get into the car if you are working on the ground.  I"ve done several but none were fun.

Who did the HG?  Was it a quality job?  I'd say $1800 would be on the top end of the value, but again the local market and the quality of the work will determine what people will be willing to pay.

i did the head gaskets and yes the heads were machined flat. i did not want a failure on moms car. unfortunately i did not see the transmission failure coming it drove great for the 3 weeks i drove it after the head gaskets before i gave it back to her. i had also repaired all other issues it had while i had the car including replacing missing trim parts from the interior. when i got the car she said to do the head gaskets witch i did then proceeded to clean the car fix the burnt out dash bulbs find and replace missing rear headrests found a rear hatch panel installed newer subaru radio and tweeters swapped plastic window switch trim for wood had fuel pump failure and put new used pump from one of there parts cars wet sanded and polished both headlights replaced upper coolant hose new timing belt and water pump no check engine light came on in the time before trans failure and all emissions monitors were ready when i gave the car back to her.

Edited by sirtokesalot

4 hours ago, Suzam said:

What type of transmission failure and what if any steps to repair did you try?

Also the rear underside frame work on this model is known to rust out to the point of the causing rear suspension issues.

rear subframe was in good shape the transmission is done its making a loud clunking sound when it is in gear moving and gets faster with more speed. they thought it was an axle or u-joint but it got alot worst very fast and the shop they brought it to said it was coming from inside the transmission. i cant check it personelly as my mom brought the car back to vermont and it would need to be trailered back here for me to put a transmission in it. my plan here was to get the car here grab the transmission from my friends blown up 2001 3 cylinder forester and drop it into this outback. i can get the transmission for basically free id have to change a few parts on his car in exchange for it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

3 hours ago, msmithmmx said:

The condition you are describing with rust and a failed transmission is what I  would call a parts car. $500 top end.  Look on Craigslist to see what people are asking.

well when i would post it on Craigslist it will have a new used transmission in it and would drive fine again im basically trying to figure out what i should ask for it with everything working and all the recent work done.

For fun and to ensure folks had a solid Subaru I use to do many 2.5 DOHC to 2.2 swaps.  Do all the maintenance needed to ensure it was a good solid Subaru ready for the new owner.  Back in the 99-2004 range I'd go up to $1000 for a solid Outback that needed an engine swap.  Used 2.2 $400, T-Belt and Gaskets $200, misc $400 and then all my labor.  I could sell them for $2200 to $2500 and keep the beer frig full.  Flash forward to 2016, I would not pay over $400 for a Subaru in need of engine or trans.  The parts were a little harder to find in the yards and folks did not want to pay over $1500 for a 98-99 Outback that would last them another 10 years.  I still love working on Subaru's but have stopped the Subaru Hobby for the most part.  It's to hard to recycle good Subaru parts so my garage is still too full.  Watch your local Craigslist, call a couple of owners and ask them to let you know when they sell their Subaru.  Local demand is what will drive price.  

• Like 1