Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever replace an EA81 front crank seal?

I'm looking at this oil leak I have. Nothing major but it leaves a spot on the driveway and cruds up my engine bay (rust protection right?). The leak seems to be coming from behind the crank pulley and dripping down the front. It does leave some residue on the underside of the air filter housing. Anyone have any tips, tricks, videos, diagrams or such before I dive into this?

22 minutes ago, Newdesertfoxowner said:

Do I need to pull the oil pump to get to the crank seal? It didn't look like it. Are the oil pump seals a necessity as preventative maintenance? I'm new to these engines so anything you can tell me is appreciated.

The thing is, once you start taking things apart its silly to only replace one seal.  Might as well do all the front seals including the oil pump. 

Depending on the engine mileage and the last time it was resealed, you may want to remove the engine and reseal the whole thing.  It's much easier to do out of the vehicle than in.  And you won't have to come back and take everything apart again for the next small leak.

If one is leaking the rest are not far behind......

I’ve done it on mine. The crank seal was SOOOO old and crusty that a bit broke off and it leaked over a certain rev.  I limped it home at 80kmph hoping the oil light didn’t come on. That was a very nervous 28km. 

I did as above - crank seal and oil pump reseal at the same time. 

Cheers 

Bennie