Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Hub/Bearing Replacement

Loudpipe

Hi All.

I'm working on replacing the rear hubs on a 2014 Crosstrek, and having some trouble. I have removed everything (brakes, brackets, center hub nut, brake shoes and disk), but absolutely cannot get the hub itself off. I have also attempted to use a hub puller, but they use the driveshaft as a reactive point, and the driveshaft simply slides inward on the splines. I do not want to put too much pressure on the shaft since it is not meant to bear a load in a lateral direction - I'm concerned that force will damage a CV joint or differential internals.

Below is a list of things I have tried up to this point, but to keep it short, I'm looking for thoughts and recommendations, particularly from anyone who has done this before. Things tried to this point:

1. Soak everything with PB Blaster,
  2. Beat the **** out of the hub and flange,
  3. Put the four hub assembly bolts in the opposite direction and tap them from the back,
  4. Mild heat (I only have access to a small propane torch),
  5. Put a jack under the hub flange and lift - this simply picked the entire car up off the jack stands without breaking the hub assembly away,
  6. Attempted to wedge a flathead screwdriver in between the splash plate and the suspension knuckle (it won't go in).

I've included a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

Any other thoughts?

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have done this and it is no fun at all.  You will need an air compressor and an air chisel.  You will need to go on the other side of the hub and wedge the chisel between the hub and the brake backing plate and start working it.  You can also use the 4 hub bolts and thread them into the hub again to get full thread engagement and then hammer on the heads of the bolts to help pry the hub off.  There are no pullers that really work on this.  There is another video where someone used an air chisel and put the tip into the threaded holes for the hub and got the hub to turn and then hammer it off.  Once you finally get it off make sure to clean everything up and use some good anti seize on the mating parts to make it simplier to do next time.   Dean