Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT Build Roadmap

Now that I either have purchased, or am in the process of purchasing all of the parts needed for my build, I thought I would check in just to make sure I have my ducks in a row. I'll start at the rear and go forward

Rear Disk Swap: hubs, disks, backing plates, calipers, brake line. I have read that the stock proportioning valve is fine, and I have read that you should install the valve from the donor. Which is it?

5 speed D/R Swap: transmission, Jerry's swap kit, driveline modified with 51 inches of new tubing. No real questions here, other than making sure I'm not missing any pieces.

A.C. into non A.C. Vehicle: Couldn't find a whole lot on this. A sticker on my '82 says its capable of being fitted with A.C., so I'm assuming just see what the '85 has that it doesn't and swap it all over? Any other pointers?

EJ22 Swap: engine, y pipe, modified harness, modified EA82 flywheel, EA to EJ adapter. It looks like I'm going to end up with a dual port motor. It seems like most people pull the whoooole harness and clip it down from there. Is that really needed? Or can I just pull everything forward of the driver's seat? I know that an OEM XT6 pressure plate is the way to go, but it sounds like a lot of people do well just stepping the flywheel of .815. I only plan on running 27 inch tires and not really wheeling it (that's what my truck is for). Any input in that front? Also, as far as mating the EJ compressor to the EA system, I'll just need custom lines and run the updated freon? Since my '82 is a DL it doesn't have a oil meter (just a light) and from what I understand the EJ only has a light as well. Any chance is plug and play?

I'm going to start rust rehab shortly. The dream would be to do a complete teardown and have everything Rhinolined (or similar). My brother has had 2 vehicles done and I feel like it can't be beat, but its also pricey. Anyways, thanks for the help!

• Like 1