Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 HVAC Question

I have a 1988 GL 4WD d/r wagon that I bought back in May. The clutch was bad, so I pulled the engine to replace it and resealed the engine from the head gaskets up. Also replaced all 7 coolant hoses. Thanks for the various tips found here to accomplish this. 

Now the question: I’ve just started driving it and found that no matter which hvac button I push, the a/c compressor engages. Is this normal? I know on most cars, when you turn on the defrost it comes on but not in the other positions, except for the a/c of coarse.

Thanks for any insight on this.

It is normal if it engages for a few seconds and then releases in not ac modes.  My 86 did this always compressor  running thing.  It came with a worn out compressor.   I investigated the schematics, etc. And found that some genius had added a wire to force the compressor to run in all hvac modes.  I removed the wire, and it only ran in ac and defrost.  It also released if you hit the gas when at a stop, to free up power for acceleration.   All my newer ones functioned similarly.   Some didn't have the unloader relay though. 

Not sure.  But it was a real hack job.  A wire was run to a bolt that mounted something under the dash.  Just stripped and wrapped around the bolt, bolt tightened down.  Too long ago to remeber- this was in 1988 - but the wire either tricked the unloader so it was always on, or parreleled it to cause the always on.  Other thing to check is a microswitch in the heater vent mech.  Really need the fsm to see all the details.

i asked this a few years ago and supposedly it's to cycle things around everyonce in a while, i didn't buy it.

i just put a manual switch to turn the A/C On and Off, much more freedom, i could redirect the air wherever i pleased, if i wanted my legs to be cold but not my arms, i could override the A/C to come on even though it wasn't suppose to... just a thought.

The hack job wire I found on my 86 was wired to keep the AC relay energized all the time, so the compressor ran in any hvac mode except off.   I was unaware of the mod when I first replaced the compressor, so I added a switch to turn the compressor off manually.

When I eventually got a second similar car, I immediately noticed that the compressor would switch off when I hit the gas from a stop, helping noticeably with acceleration.  Investigating that function was how I discovered the hack modification on the 86.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveT said:

When I eventually got a second similar car, I immediately noticed that the compressor would switch off when I hit the gas from a stop, helping noticeably with acceleration.  Investigating that function was how I discovered the hack modification on the 86.

factory installed 80's A/C compressors are suppose to cut off if you floor it to give you that extra amount of power incase of an emergency, i don't think Dealer added ones ever did though, i know 90's Subaru's do this too.