Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback. AT oil temp flashing. Please Help!

By “AT light flashing” do you mean 16 times after first start up or flashing while driving ?

You need to read the codes from the TCU, there is suspicious data here.

you can search for the odd routine you need to do in order for the AT light to flash the trouble code(s) for you or ask a shop to do it.

look at the transmission pan - is it dented ?

AT light flashing and binding = Duty C

Binding with no light = clutches

what you’re describing is neither of those so something else is wrong. 

Edited by idosubaru

Is the AT light flashing while driving?  That’s a diffent issue than flashing 16 times at first start up  which is what we are all assuming. 

Maybe the car had a different unmatching transmission installed?

Why did the car sit before you bought it?  I bet the purchasing story who, where, how, how much would shed some light on this car having something happen to it. 

7 minutes ago, xdeadeye1 said:

Need a lil help. I'm on side of the road. At temp light is flashing steady.  Should I continue my trip,?  45 more min.?   Is there anything I can do to help thing?  It's a 2000 outback wagon.

check fluid level immediately.  check to see if pan is dented. 

turn car off, wait a minute, and turn it back on.  sometimes the issue goes away.

10 hours ago, xdeadeye1 said:

Thanks for your reply idosubaru.  Idk what happened. It went away.  But it was flashing steady. Scared me.

Intermittent flashing is common. Hopefully you get lucky but usually it’ll come again some day. 

Ideally you get the codes from the TCU.  Now is a good time to learn how to do that when it’s not an emergency. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2