Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy splitcase six speed swap into 97L

So I just picked up a 97L stick shift, in serious need of a transmission, one option I like the sound of is the split case six speed out of the newer legacies, they can be had for about the same price as a low mileage jdm unit. I’m aware I’d have to swap rear diffs to match ratio 4.11 vs 3.9

Questions are:

Has anybody done one? 

How do you resolve the abs driven speedometer issue? I have an 99gt to pull parks from for abs related sensors and such.

Does it bolt the the 5mt crossmember?

Can you use the same driveshaft or possibly one from a 4eat car?

Does the cable shifter assembly bolt in or how much fab work is involved?

searches have come up slim as all six speed swaps are geared toward the performance trans.

Doubtful it could be done easily. The engine mounts are on the transmission on those models. It's an ENTIRELY different setup. 

You would incur the additional cost of installing an ABS wheel speed sensor and a VSS-Pro from Canada to simulate the speed sensor that all 08+ transmissions no longer have. 

I seriously doubt this would be an economical option. Especially for a 97. Just rebuild the trans that's in the car. They typically just need the rear input shaft bearing, seals and gaskets. 

GD

18 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

You can machine the 08+ trans cases for the old school VSS...

But why? This is so much more work than just using a VSSPro for $199 that creates the VSS off the wheel speed sensor. Very easy install. 

Also I'm not sure that's possible with the 6MT - it was never used on a pre-08 chassis. 

GD

GD- where is a good place to source the transmission parts? It growls in first and second pretty bad and won’t go into fourth so I’m guessing bearings and synchros. I would prefer a cheaper route. Just as a curiosity what does your shop charge to go through one of its brought in out of the car?

If I had to pay up why not go low mileage six speed, same cruise rpm lower in town gears. If the engine is still a ej22 would the trans mounted engine brackets matter, have been told it should bolt in place of 5mt to the engine and the crossmember also using same driveline. Also the shifter would bolt into stock location as well(even if I had to fab a mount not a big deal).

i was looking at 2013-14 legacy transmissions(research shows 4.44 FD) about $770 14.3k at LKQ. I have my 99 GT I’m going to part out so I would have all ABS needed components, plus the matching 4.44 diff. The vvspro is $199 or Dakota digital for $80-90 depending. I was looking at 50k JDM trans from Seattle with 1 year warranty for $795. So from that persective about the not to much more money wise. More work but fun one off with a little more pep I would think.

Edited by 86hatchback

The parts are all through Subaru. Most are in-stock. 

You won't need syncro's. Just a rear input bearing, gaskets, and seals. About $150 in parts typically. The noise is the rear bearing, and the not going into gear is either damage to the shift slider (which can be repaired typically) or mis-alignment of the shafts due to the bearing failure. There is only rarely additional damage to these - and we have quite a few spare parts in our back room. 

We charge $800+ parts for bench tear down, diagnosis, and reassembly. I can usually turn it around in a day. 

I have the Dakota Digital unit in my Trans Am. It's garbage. My speedo jumps around all over the place when I'm stationary. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

GD thank you for all the info, good to know on the Dakota digital, heard the vvspro was designed for Subaru’s to begin with, I may look into all that some day but $150 to get it on the road sounds way more reasonable. Figure I can tear it down and fix it if not at least I have a back up plan.