Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Oil in Air Filter Thread

Been looking around, and I think my issue is different that most, so I'm starting this new thread. Sorry if it ends up being a repeat.

I've got a Weberized EA81 and I am getting oil in the air filter housing. It is definitely sucking in from the passenger side, which is weird cause everything I've read suggest that air should be flowing the opposite direction. Why would it be blowing back out the passenger side? It wasn't doing this when  i first installed all this, ran clean for about 2 years. Also, could this oil be causing my car to flood/have difficulties starting both hot and cold? Cause that's happening too, lol.

My current setup is: Large diameter hose from air filter to passenger side valve cover. Another large diameter hose from the driver side valve cover to the PCV, this large hose has a reducing T to a 1/4" hose that goes right up to the air filter housing. PCV is non OEM, I know this is not as suggested, but I wouldn't think this would cause pressure to blow out the passenger sider valve cover.

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, USMB.

Edited by beamsbox

Crankcase gases reverse direction and flow into the air cleaner from the passenger side at high throttle openings because there is not enough vacuum in the intake to pull them thru the PCV valve.

That is how it is supposed to work.

Your motor  must have more  blowby now than it did 2 years ago(not surprising-drive a lot of dirt roads?) since your getting more oil on the filter w/the same setup.

Blowby oil wont make your carb flood,but,a little oil on a spark plug can make starting difficult.Check the plugs.

Incorrect flow from an incorrect PCV valve could affect starting too