Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback Windshield Weatherstripping

There is some kind of rubber or weatherstripping going around the windshield.  I need to remove it because I have some rust that started underneath it in several places (idiots who installed the windshield dinged up the paint).  In fact I have already cut part of it out to get to the rust in one area.

My question is, I don't know the configuration of this weatherstripping or whatever it is.  I don't know if I'm getting all of it out if I just yank/cut it out, or if it actually goes UNDERNEATH the windshield, and the windshield is seated on it.  In other words, can I just yank, cut, and scrape this stuff out, repair the rust, and buy another one to glue in, or am I gonna have to get the windshield removed so I can get to the rest of it (if there is a 'rest of it)?

Thanks for any help.  I've googled to hell and back for days but can't find any info.

yaddayadda,

I believe you'll find that to correct your rust problem, that the glass will have to be removed from the car, and the gasket removed as well.

Unless you can verify that the rust has not penetrated below the gasket, any repair you do will eventually be wasted, as this is an area of the car constantly invaded by water.

As far as replacing the seal properly, this can only be done at the windshield install. You could fill the gasket groove area with black silicone or automotive Goop, but the visual results may be far from satisfactory, not to mention again that the rust may be growing underneath.

Its really unfortunate that the rust was not addressed at the time of the windshield replacement.

I think the rust was actually *caused* by the last windshield replacement.  They did a careless job and scratched the area with tools, which caused the rust.

Can you tell me whether the gasket goes under the glass?  Meaning, does the glass sit on part of the gasket?  Or said another way, do I have to remove the windshield to remove the gasket?

Edited by yaddayadda

yaddayadda,

That I can't tell you, because its been too many years ago that I owned that generation of subie to remember. I know that my 2017 subie has a gasket under the edge of the glass, and I suspect that it is bonded to the glass, and the gasket is urethaned to the body of the car. Having worked in an auto restoration shop for years (still do part time, when it suits my mood and schedule) and having done more than a few windshield replacements, some windshields have the gasket bonded to the glass already when purchased. Some use no gasket at all, and a few need just the gasket to install them (usually antique cars). Most use a black urethane sealant nowadays whether they come with a gasket or not.

Your best bet is to ask at an auto glass shop as to how  subie windshields come when they order them.

If you're certain that the rust has not gotten under the gasket, then the usual sanding/grinding the area to remove the rust back to bare metal, degreasing, priming and painting should be all that is required to put the situation right.

Be very careful around the edges of the glass. The slightest nick with a tool could cause a crack or the entire windshield to check into a million small pieces. Good Luck!