Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 2011 Outback Legacy (Is it an Outback? Is it a Legacy? I guess they couldn't decide). Anyway, it has about 120K on it, and I'm thinking maybe these are still the original struts because the ride is really rough. I have replaced strut inserts on several cars before, and have my own set of spring compressors.

So, two questions:

1. Is this job pretty straight ahead on this car, nothing out of the ordinary?
2. What are the recommended replacement inserts for this car? I don't need a costly high performance upgrade, but I want a quality strut that's going to last.

no inserts unless there's some odd-ball person out there that has experimented with putting a Koni insert inside.

You want KYB replacement struts. Sounds like you have done strut swaps before so, probably be easy enough for you. There may even be a youtube video or 2 of the process. I'd check Amazon or RockAuto for pricing. Good time to inspect and maybe grease brakes, look for split cvj boots - general inspection stuff.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

another vote for KYB. might want to possibly get the front tophats at least.. rears don't usually have many problems. fronts - the bearings tend to go.. if you have them on hand and need them, you only have to do the job once... if you don't need them, return them.

they are not typically called "inserts" - just strut, and spring - the two together are an assembly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1