Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove mouse nest/debris from around heater core?

2 hours ago, scoobydube said:

I removed the glove compartment, and the cover below it.  The dash was left entirely in place.

I’ll have to check that out for the time if/when I need to replace the heater core in the brumby. It could possibly be different for RHD and LHD vehicle’s too... I’ll have a look! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 3 weeks later...

Does the heater / ac/ fan control unit have to be disassembled / disconnected to remove the dash (3rd image)?  Something seems to be snagging the dash at the top center.

Looks like a mouse dragged a rag into one of the boxes (4th image).

This stopped being fun a long time ago...

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

I don't think any of the big heater parts need to come out before the dash.  [been too long]

The steering column does have to be unbolted from it's anchor points so it sags down.

There is a bolt in the center under a snap in cover, like the ones on either side, right up near the windshield.

No this is not a fun project at all.

You would’ve been better off pulling the dash board out. 

You’ve created a lot more work there pulling all the individual pieces out like that! 

There are seven bolts holding the dashboard in from memory. Three under the windscreen hidden behind click on plates, two each side, one centered one. Lower section there’s one on each side, then two in the centre on top of the trans tunnel. 

Other snags include speedo cable, temp control slide cable, vent cables - driver’s and passenger’s side, AC wiring, ignition wiring and the main dashboard harness plugs. This is all from memory so I could be wrong on a few of these. Last L series dash removal was in 2015... 

I thought I had an image of my L dashboard out of the vehicle but I can’t find it now.  

As for the MY heater core. I can’t see how this can be removed without pulling the dashboard to remove the heater box. I’ve got my brumby dashboard out atm and there’s no way that heater core comes out sideways. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

You got lucky if that's the only place they got to.   Mine, they had made nests and left crap all through the duct work and the heater core / blend door assembly.  And chewed the seals [foam] off the blend doors.