Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rwd swap a brat

If I take the front axles out of my brat (properly I won’t just pull them I know they hold the hubs in place) and if I put it in 4wd drive then would I have a rwd brat and would I be able to do donuts but more importantly would it be safe I’m trying to get this brat(1978) to sema 2019 all help would be appreciated 

if that wont work has anyone mates a rwd drive trani to a ea81(that’s whats going into it the ea71 is getting sold)

Edited by YaBoyKingsley
Forgot some info

In 2008 I converted my EA81T wagon to RWD.  It already had the stronger EA82 5-speed transmission swapped in.  I also have a clutch type rear LSD and 205/60/13 Yokohama A048 tires.  I knew the risks going into the conversion and so I generally only did "RWD" activities in the wet/snow/dirt or other low traction situations.  By babying the car I was able to get the RWD conversion to last about four years.

But the whole point of the RWD conversion is to have fun, right?  Burnouts, doughnuts, drifting, etc.  The rear wheel drive system on these cars was only ever meant to hold 40 horsepower or so.  Once you direct the engine's full torque to the rear, the RWD transfer gears become a weak link and will shear teeth like its going out of style.

You'll end up stranded with a ruined transmission, a non-op Subaru, worn out rear wheel bearings (because they're the wrong style for sliding sideways) and an empty pocket.

(But it is fun while it lasts!)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YaBoyKingsley said:

How do you know 

not suppose to go over 45mph on 4wd, even without the front axles and just having the front wheels running like dummies on the front, there's like 2 warnings of this on the inside of the car itself.

sorry to break your dreams, you'll explode that little transmission, same for the EA81, if you can even find a conversion anymore, still woun't work though.

3 hours ago, Subasaurus said:

just let me know when you blow the diff and transmission apart, i'll be interested to buy a few parts from you when you part it out, keep me in mind!

Well I got a spare transmission and what if I where to strengthen the diff’s gears and make nice on all the seals do you think it would last any longer or should I play it safe 

25 minutes ago, YaBoyKingsley said:

Well I got a spare transmission and what if I where to strengthen the diff’s gears and make nice on all the seals do you think it would last any longer or should I play it safe 

It's not a matter of diff strength, the RWD transfer gears will strip out before anything else fails (besides the rear wheel bearings).