Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbofiat124,

The first generation Tribeca turned most consumers off when they saw the front of the car. When it was redesigned later to be more generic, the damage had already been done, so not many of them were purchased. Those that were are like all of the other subie models, mainly found in areas where ice, snow, elevation, and the back woods put them right at home.

I see them around town every week but I'm in a subaru town where things age fast so people aren't still plowing around in 90's or hardly even 00 era Subarus due to rust.  I own one for no other reason than it was Subaru's only 7 seater.  It'll last me until I can buy a cheap blown/wrecked/ Ascent. 

The main issue with Tribeca's is they fill no actual role at all.  There is no reason to buy a 5 seater over an Outback and for those who could use the 7 seats, the 6th and 7th seat are tiny, inaccessible, and if flipped up for use, you retain almost no storage space. 

Edited by idosubaru

• 5 months later...

My parents are the original owners of a 2007.  It's a San Jose, CA car, garaged, never seen snow, less than 40K miles, looks like new, dealer serviced, and driven only by a little grandmother :).  I think they bought it based on my owning a couple Subarus and having a good experience.  I wouldn't necessarily have recommended it, but they didn't ask me before buying.

Edited by Lightning Racer

I considered the tribeca as our next family bus. 

But decided that the Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun/Montero(?) was the way to go in diesel. Loving it. 

Still got my older subi’s too ;) 

I regularly see Tribecas in my area - probably because we have a dealer in our town so there are plenty of Subaru’s around. But if you don’t know what they are then you’d easily mistaken them for a CX5 or something of the like...

Cheers 

Bennie

I'm not a fan of the Tribeca.  I like wagons but SUVs/crossovers and bloated vehicles in general are not my thing.  That said, I think the original face is better than the facelift. The facelift is too generic.  The original has the hawk grill of the Hawkeye.  It's better than the Baja and Brat in any case.

5 hours ago, Lightning Racer said:

I think the original face is better than the facelift. The facelift is too generic.  The original has the hawk grill of the Hawkeye.  It's better than the Baja and Brat in any case.

That’s blasphemy!!

And having the hawk grille of the hawk eye is where the “good” looks stop there for the original model. The updated facelift is the one to have if you’re going for the tribeca in my opinion - or get something else. 

Cheers 

Bennie

17 hours ago, el_freddo said:

That’s blasphemy!!

And having the hawk grille of the hawk eye is where the “good” looks stop there for the original model. The updated facelift is the one to have if you’re going for the tribeca in my opinion - or get something else. 

Cheers 

Bennie

It's kind of a Porsche Cayenne face with a Hawk grill.  My mom's Tribeca must have grown on me a bit, I don't think it looks that bad, though, like I said earlier, I don't like SUVs.  I'm a wagon guy.

• 2 months later...

I personally own an 13 Tribaca, love it.  I was thinking to trade it in for the Ascent but the wife insist that she prefers the tribeca even after trying the ascent for a week which the dealer gave us the option.  Her reason, I cant get out of the way...ie low end torque, the 36 has lots more immediate low end torque the this Ascent.

My buddy (who is also a Subaru enthusiast) and I have a running joke about the B9 Tribeca, Subaru people don't buy the Tribeca! :lol:

But in all seriousness I would totally buy one if I found a cheap one. Another friend's wife has had one for years and they love it.   

• 2 years later...

We have a 2006 Tribeca and get stared at all the time. Not because it is a Tribeca but because it is a "Rain Forest Edition" which has a paint job that resembles the shadow of branches and tree limbs cast on the car. OH and Tribeca's are the only Subaru not sold in Japan and have the worst sales record of any Subaru in the United States. I purchased used after our previous car was totaled (in Georgia) by an 88 year old driver crossing over on a two lane rd. I knew nothing about the car and didn't know it was the laughing stock of Subaru enthusiasts. HEY it does great in crash tests!

22 hours ago, Fuji said:

We have a 2006 Tribeca and get stared at all the time. Not because it is a Tribeca but because it is a "Rain Forest Edition" which has a paint job that resembles the shadow of branches and tree limbs cast on the car. OH and Tribeca's are the only Subaru not sold in Japan and have the worst sales record of any Subaru in the United States. I purchased used after our previous car was totaled (in Georgia) by an 88 year old driver crossing over on a two lane rd. I knew nothing about the car and didn't know it was the laughing stock of Subaru enthusiasts. HEY it does great in crash tests!

Size. The safest car to be in during a wreck is the biggest one.  It's the heaviest Subaru ever made.

18 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Size. The safest car to be in during a wreck is the biggest one.  It's the heaviest Subaru ever made.

I suppose you are correct! I do feel pretty safe in it when I have my precious grand child in his car seat in the back. He calls it the Opa's car. 

• Like 1