Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Heads

I just joined the forum because I am planning to get back into the world of Subarus, and you will probably see me here a lot in the near future.

I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but I can't seem to find a consistent answer or even decent pictures to answer my questions. I had three Subarus in my teenage years (1979 wagon, 1981 wagon, and 1983 hatchback). All three were reliable cars, and all three were totally gutless. I am considering another older model with the EA81, with the intent of minor engine mods to make the car a bit more driveable. Do I understand that all stock EA81 heads are single port (both intake and exhaust). 1.8L should be plenty of displacement for 100HP, but it looks like the head design is horribly restrictive. Were there any dual port heads that are compatible with the EA81 engine? Is there any benefit to them, or is single-port fuel injection good enough?

Thanks all.

I've been researching non-stop since I posted the thread, and I am starting to see what you mean by "a dead platform." A company known as Flygas out of Italy manufactures some very nice dual port heads for aircraft, but they cost more than the whole car. Considering the huge following of the EA81 in aircraft, I would be surprised if a third party manufacturer doesn't still provide most of the essential components (including oil pumps, valves, etc.). The question is whether it is worth the expense. Not interested in an engine swap until I start having problems with the existing EA81, but maybe I'll buy a cheap pair of stock heads and practice some port work. Either way, it looks like I will need to find a parts car just to keep this thing going.

The car I'm looking to buy has an automatic, and I remember how anemic my old '81 wagon was. The '79 wagon with a EA71 was vastly superior to drive just because it had a 4-speed. That car used to get 40MPG too. Wish I still had it.

The 3AT auto has some serious flaws. Oil pump driveshaft splines.... none of which can be fixed. Again no parts. And even the EA82 dual range transmissions can hardly be found anymore. It's just not worth messing with any of the EA platform cars anymore. They are nothing more than occasional drivers curiosities now. 

Aircraft aren't really using them anymore either. Most are going with the EJ engines. The timing belts are extremely reliable if maintained properly. 

It's not worth bothering with the EA81. last one I built.... customer went through at least 6 used engines to find a viable starting point. It took 2 years to collect the parts to make it happen. It's going in a low mileage family keepsake. Not going to be driven daily. And the cost was far in excess of the value of the car. I think it was just shy of $4k for an engine ready to drop. 

I do this every day. For a living even. If anyone can do it I can. And I still don't. Last summer I brought my lifted EA81 hatch back up to driving/wheeling status for probably the last time. Once the engine or the dual range is done that will be the end of the EA drivetrain in it. 

Not just the engine either - critical parts like throttle and clutch cables are in extremely short supply and will never be made again. Subaru doesn't care anymore. They used to. Now critical parts for 05 to 09 Legacy platforms are already being phased and going NLA... forever. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

So sad. Flygas responded to my email and said their heads have been installed on car engines and result in 103HP with the stock cam. Exactly what I would want. But if you can't get that power to the wheels because of missing parts, what's the point.

General, are you in Portland OR or ME? I see a lot of dead EA cars around here (Pacific NW). You'd think there would be a lot of parts worth scavenging. Of course, there's probably a reason they were left out to rust.

For the few of us that are into these old ones, some might be usable.  Often, for a "regular" car user, who has to pay someone to repair, it a fairly small problem "kills" a car.  

I've thought about power upgrades from time to time over the years.  But that just moves a failure point to some other hard to get part.

Yep we are.

There's a fair few still around. If you want to collect a bunch of parts cars. But it's an uphill battle that you're one the downhill losing side of at this point. 20 years ago was the time to start collecting parts and parts cars. I was buying these cars for $500 or less running and driving back in the early 2000's. I finally purged the majority of my EA parts a couple years ago - had to make room in the shed. I had a mountain higher than me (and I'm 6' 2") that went to the recycle because no one wanted them. 

GD

and some people enjoy the challenge looking for bits, and hey, the reward can be a car you rebuild can deliver 300 to 800,000km on that build if maintained. And survivability can depend on your intended usage too. If only postage to US was affordable (reciprocal even ! )- I have a hoard of EA81 heads and oil pumps spare valves, even have a few sets of pistons OS

I agree with everyone the EJ is a more advanced engine, more power, more parts, more lard, probably more reliable and fuel efficient and if you can make one fit and work - even more rewarding.

It is always going to be a case of do what you want, assess the info offered. I used to hate the EA82, love the EA81, but other way now :) and as it sits I have an EJ20 and its AWD 5MT sitting in a Brumby waiting for more motivation and investigation. The AWD 5MT from a 2.0 litre Impreza fits the trans tunnel better than EA82 five speed. The EJ looks like it belongs there. Plenty of EA81 bits in Oz for export except  new oil pumps :(

• Like 1

We knew it was coming. I've been telling people for years. 10 YEARS AGO Subaru of America was sold out on EA81 oil pumps, and was ordering them in batches of LESS THAN 10 a few times a year. That means they were only selling at most 20 units in an entire year. And I was buying them 3 at a time to have on hand. I told people this was coming. No one listened. 

If properly maintained with synthetic and quality filters the oil pumps will last a long time. But these engines were subject to 1980's oils when synthetic was almost unheard of, and decades of abusive ownership with $hit filters and irregular oil changes - most of these engines need a new pump by now. And if they don't get it (and half the time even if they do) bottom end damage will (has) been done. I've personally thrown rods on several EA81's due to poor oil pump performance. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder