Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leone Parts

There aren't any. That's what I've been trying to convey. You can't buy them. No one makes them. Period. How large of a market do you suppose there is for early 80's Subaru parts? Yeah think about that for a minute. No manufacturers are going to support a product they sell a few tens of a year. Not going to happen. You can't even find brake calipers. Go ahead - try!

GD

Found shafts on RockAuto but CV joints appear to be like unicorns. I'm a pretty resourceful guy (including manufacturing parts from scratch when needed), but it appears that wrecking yards are the only source for some types of parts, and there's no way I'm going to install a salvage CV joint. Can't manufacture one either. If I have to retrofit more modern equipment, then so-be-it.

All newer models are considerably wider. The EA82 shafts are also not available. So you are talking about going to an EJ shaft. That's like 4" wider stance, and uses completely different joints on both ends requiring different knuckles, wheel lug pattern. The list goes on. It's really not feasible. You may as well just go to the entire EJ chassis. All that work isn't worth doing and the results of engineering your own suspension geometry will be a mess. Just. Don't.  

GD

29 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Find a used OEM axle - which won't be easy.  clean and re grease & re boot.   90% or more of the aftermarket ones were junk anyway, even when they were available.

+1. But you aren't going to find any OEM CV's that are still worth having. I haven't seen one in more than a decade. EA81 factory CV worth using? You would have more luck unicorn hunting. Seriously that's an impossible request. And he's absolutely right - all the aftermarket offerings were Chinese and weren't worth owning when they were new in the box.

It's OVER for the EA chassis. There's way too much stacked against driving them. I OWN A SUBARU SHOP and have been driving these since I was 18 (I'm 39). Parts were hard 21 years ago. Now it's impossible. 

GD

33 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Find a used OEM axle - which won't be easy.  clean and re grease & re boot.   90% or more of the aftermarket ones were junk anyway, even when they were available.

CVJ Axles in Colorado will rebuild your OEM axles. They sent me OEM reman'd 1984 GL front axles earlier this year, great service! All through email.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Subuhrue said:

CVJ Axles in Colorado will rebuild your OEM axles. They sent me OEM reman'd 1984 GL front axles earlier this year, great service! All through email.

I just looked at the CVJ website. do the CV axles include the CV joints? How much did you pay for the package?

If you saw the car I want to buy, you would understand why I want this to work. Other than faded bumpers and shrinking side trim, she's a 9.5 out of 10. Still not worth it if I have to retrofit an entire drivetrain.

1 hour ago, clunker said:

I just looked at the CVJ website. do the CV axles include the CV joints? How much did you pay for the package?

If you saw the car I want to buy, you would understand why I want this to work. Other than faded bumpers and shrinking side trim, she's a 9.5 out of 10. Still not worth it if I have to retrofit an entire drivetrain.

Yes they do! I think I paid $364 (?) for my pair of front CV axles. Went right in!