Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just bought a 2004 WRX with 146k miles. All maintenance done to it OTHER then headgaskets. So I'm wondering, how long do they last on this year? I wanna save up and replace them, but knowing that its gonna cost quite a bit, its gonna be awhile till ill be able to, and don't want anything to happen.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Turbo models don't have head gasket problems. Never have. Those engine often go about 250k. Then they are just shot. Main line journals get too out of spec and they throw rods. 

GD

Oh okay! Thank you for the reply everyone. Good to hear this. I thought it was gonna be a issue. This is really good to hear. Thanks again! And, when that time comes, should I engine swap it with a original wrx engine, or something different? 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:06 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a combination of 2.0 and 2.5 parts.... thus a hybrid of the two. Cost is typically $6k to $8k depending on many factors. Of course that's "typical". I have customers with over $20k into their drivetrain. Usually making well beyond 500 HP of course. 

GD

Now is that 6k-8k with labor, or just parts? 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a combination of 2.0 and 2.5 parts.

I would stay away from this type of build.  Yes, it is a path that many folks have taken, but just putting the car back to stock or going with a 2.1L stoker engine are better/simpler options.  I would do a lot of reading before you spend any money.  Connect with a local Subaru engine builder and a trusted tuner and discuss your goals with them.

We do this ALL THE TIME. And we are an engine builder and tuning shop. I just bought a $100k Dyno-Jet. 

With the JE hybrid pistons the compression ratio and quench volume are corrected and the engine is simply a 2.5. We have customers making 375 wheel on this combo with ease. There is NOTHING wrong with 2.0 heads on a 2.5 bore. 

A stroker is a TON more work than a stock 2.5 with pistons swapped. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

We do this ALL THE TIME. And we are an engine builder and tuning shop. I just bought a $100k Dyno-Jet. 

With the JE hybrid pistons the compression ratio and quench volume are corrected and the engine is simply a 2.5. We have customers making 375 wheel on this combo with ease. There is NOTHING wrong with 2.0 heads on a 2.5 bore. 

A stroker is a TON more work than a stock 2.5 with pistons swapped. 

GD

Thank you for the reply. Its gonna be a long long time (Hopefully) until I do a full engine swap. But a hybrid is probably what im going with. But I have another question unrelated to this if you wouldn't mind checking your messages. Thanks!