Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" Lift Steering Extension Tip

Not sure if this has been covered before and everybody seems to have a different idea on how to extend the steering shaft down to the steering rack.

I know I have a few parts laying around to pick from so this may not work for everybody but this is how I made the extension. I used two (2) of the universal joint style steering knuckles, one on the steering shaft and one on the steering rack, the two joints mate up perfectly inline with each other. Seeing as I have just converted to power steering and swapped over the steering column for the tilt adjustable one that came with the power steering, I had a spare steering shaft laying around cluttering up the place, so I cut the spline off of bottom of the old steering rack, notched a place for the bolt to go through on one end and used this to join the two universal joints together and hey presto. Steering is now connected, fits perfectly, nice clean angles through the universal joints and the steering has no notchiness about it. And best of all, it was SIMPLE.

Hope this helps out others if this hasn't been covered somewhere else before.

I don't do photo share websites but if someone has an email address that they would PM me with, I'll be more than happy to take some pictures to post so this is all clarified a bit better.

Cheers,

Al

Nice, you are far keener than I am Bennie... I thought about going 3" lift but around here, lets just say that I'm not expecting it to take long before I see some disco lights in my rear vision mirrors.

Tyres are the next thing to sort out,was going to run some 27" Kuhmo's but am a little concerned that it might be to much tyre for the little EA81 (Bring on the EJ22/25, if only I could find a nice one). Any thoughts??

Dunno how the EA81 would go with the tyres. Sluggish at best but many have run the 27s and factory drive train. 

I shudder at the thought. I had my EJ before I was lifted, I still wonder how anyone with the EA81/EA82 and 27s did it. 

Now I’ve got a built gearbox that pulls my gearing back to factory. It goes great to say the least! 

Cheers 

Bennie

PS: keep it clean, drive it neat and the Po-Po won’t be a problem - unless you get trapped in one of those vehicle road worthy check stations they always run during “festive seasons”.

Edited by el_freddo

my only caution on the bolt u used is this:  Is the nut a locking nut, such as the nylon bushing in side it so it cannot back off, or did u use lock-tite?  Should the steering come apart it would be a disaster.  In aviation mechanics most nuts are safety wired.  just a thought.

My thoughts exactly Beenie. And yes a built gearbox with 4.44 is on the cards when I do the EJ conversion, already have the front and rear diffs, my biggest problem is finding a SOHC engine around here that doesn't have half a million k's on it

I used the same bolt as the factory put in there in the first place so I see no reason for this to be a problem. The extension was created using all factory Subaru Brumby/L series components, the way the knuckles clamp around the spline it creates tension on the bolt, only way for it to come loose is for it not to be done up properly.