Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing cigarette lighter 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback

The cigarette lighter doesn't seem to work.  Anyone know if this is the original setup or if the aftermarket radio (apparently) changed things around.  It's never worked since we have had the car, which is about a year.

The OBD port does work and the fuse appears good, so I'm pretty sure there is power to the circuit.

How can I use a meter to test this?  How do I get the lighter port out to try and swap it.

cig light big.jpg

the lighter location is stock, but it is very possible wires got knocked loose when the radio was changed.

you can download a service manual here: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1996/

basically the trim around the outside will need to be removed (gently!) in order to access mounting screws and such.

Thanks for the responses.  Just got off the phone with local Subaru dealer and the OEM part number is 86710FA040.  Guy claims there are three of them left in the country.  $30ish bucks

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/SOCKET-COMPLETE-POWER-OUTLET-NO1/49300557/86710FA040.html

Anyway...sounds like the smart move is to find the page that covers this in the TSM (thanks for that link) and try to get the trim off and see if I can check/replace the fuse that is on the back.

I suppose I could try and try to check that power is coming in the wire that hooks up to the socket.  

Then, if that doesn't work and I have power coming to socket, go ahead and get the replacement oem part.

Is the fuse on the back like the rest of the fuses in the fuse box?

NH

as to how many are left in the country - I highly doubt (but, not certain) those are uniquely 'Subaru' and I'd be tempted to look for aftermarket or perhaps some other car-maker's part that will work.

certainly the business end of the port must conform to some standard so, maybe the fuse's rating is different or there's some slight mounting difference?

• 2 weeks later...

So..I finally got around to digging into the dash.  First time for everything.  The key is to pull out the cup holder, which exposes some screws and then the rest pops off pretty easy to expose the other mounting screws.

Then I got  the cig ligher out and did a test light test.  power came to the cig lighter and stopped on one side of the "fuse thing" on the back.  The other side had no power.

So...I removed the insulation disk  between the contacts on the back, thereby removing the protection of the failed "fuse thing".  Cig lighter now works like a champ, although I "only" have the protection of the fuse in the fuse panel.  (at least this is my theory now...anyone with other ideas please set me straight)

Anywho...I told everyone to only charge cell phones and NOT to use any crazy adapters or other high draw things.

Thanks for the help on here guys.

NH

the cigarette lighter works.jpg

• Like 1