Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking rear window sprayer 1996 Impreza Outback

So, I put in some fluid and it apparently pumped, but was leaking somewhere up at the top of the rear opening.  I would assume I start taking off trim to get into all of this?  Any tips?

Am I right that it goes from the reservoir up to the flexible connector and then down to the bracket that holds the rear wiper?  It appears my leak is just before it gets to the flexible connector

back window wash 1.jpg

Yes, it runs up the Drivers side of the rear body side of the hatch, then towards the flex hose you see.

Best thing you can do is get it into a warm space before you pull the plastic.  If the interior is up above 70F and you give the interior plastic time to warm up it will be less likely to break off the clip tabs.

If you have access to a self serve parts yard go pull the panels there first so you know how it all comes apart.  Then there is the question is it worth it?  You could unplug the rear washer pump connector and disable it and never worry about the leak.

Use a hair dryer to heat up the rubber line if you are in a cold climate.  It pulls apart easier that way.  The hose replacement is easy.  Just dig in and see where the where problem is.  I had a blocked line one time that I blew clear from the front with a compressor.  The connectors can clog or break and the hose gets old at the connection point and leaks.  Get some hose connectors of the right size and some replacement hose and get her done!   Good luck!

Edited by 3Pin
grammer

Thanks for the help on this.  I've got a garage and can run a heater for a while before trying to get in there.  I'm in Indiana, so hopefully I can find a milder day.

Sounds like the panels back there all "pop" straight out with a trim removal tool.  We do have auto yards down in Indianapolis, but they haven't had many Subarus in there lately.  Good idea to practice there first.  

NH

there may be some screws - or possible those plastic push in things - holding the bottom of the tailgate trim.. if there is a grab handle for the tailgate, that would definitely have screws in it.. usually covered by a small plastic plate.

start by checking along the bottom of the tailgate panel..

but yeah, the greater majority of the pieces are simply tabs snapped into slots.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to update my pictures better tomorrow.  I just got done reading a bunch of those other threads.  I guess I'm glad that mine only leaks when I try to spray the rear washer and not when I accelerate.

I have a 96 Subaru Imprezza outback AWD hatchback  JF1GF4859TH814714

My understanding is that I have a rear reservoir for washer fluid and that the rear system is completely separate from the front.  

I mention this because in ALL the other threads I've read, they seem to talk about one combined system.   If anyone can clear this up definitely for me..that would help.

I'm going to look through all the threads again tomorrow..it's getting late and I don't think I'm going to be able to stay awake to the new year.  :)

Happy new year!!!

NH

http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/subaru-components/where-are-windshield-washer-pumps-located-subaru/

Pump and reservoir locations show pre 1995 with separate rear config.

Does your front reservoir have two little pump motors associated with it or one?

Might check a Subaru dealership parts department and see if your vin# shows separate reservoir.

In the past my local dealership provided me a schematic for projects which may help you trace the hose routing and any connection points.

Edited by brus brother

fastest and easiest check is looking at the front reservoir.. if there are 2 separate pumps (one sits slightly higher than the other) then it is a combined system, if there is only 1 pump, it has a separate rear system.

If you have a split system the rear bottle is usually tucked behind the trim panels on one side, but there should be an access for filling it

I have a split system.  Just got back from the Subaru Dealership

86655FA080 is the part number that is leaking.  

It would appear is a solid hose with no connections from the  sprayer to the pump on the rear reservoir.  If I get the subaru part I also get the boot that connects the hatch to the main body.

I'm considering trying to go ahead and dig into the trim to find the connection to the sprayer and the connection to the pump.  Perhaps it's some type of flexible hose that I can get at the parts store.  My "boot" seems to be in good condition.

I asked the parts guy if you just had to "fish" the hose through the body and he seemed to agree that was the only way to do it.  Any other input wuold be appreciated.

NH

If it is the only element running through the boot, you could possibly pull the old one out and find a pinch or pinhole leak? Tip: hook/tape a string to the old one when you pull the hose so you can more easily replace it.

I would check Home Depot or similar parts store in the area where they sell hoses for refrigerator ice machines. They might have ones long enough already bagged or sold by the foot.

If the hose itself goes into the reservoir, pull the hose out of the reservoir and cut a 1/4 inch piece to check the size. You probably won't want to add a splice to the existing line because of its overall age and apparent lack of access.

If you don't intend on keeping the car long, use the squeegee at the gas station and call it a day. ;-)

2 hours ago, brus brother said:

If you don't intend on keeping the car long, use the squeegee at the gas station and call it a day. ;-)

Yeah...my hope is we'll keep the car a long time.  It's been in the extended family since it was bought brand new, but it's been several years since anyone has really focused on keeping the car nice.  We got it for super cheap and I've got a bunch of teenagers that I'm trying to teach to be decent mechanics...

And the rear defroster isn't working either (I'll start a post about that soon).  So being able to spray may help clear the back sooner.

I think my next step is to dig in there and see if I can find replacement line locally by the foot or if I'm going to have to order the Subaru part.

NH

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my 2000 rear hatch with a 97 hatch this last weekend.  Both washer tubes were cracked just below the flex connector between the body and the hatch.

Easy fix. Get new hose or go to the yard and pull one.  Cut an extra foot off the lower end, which you can reach inside the Jack access panel in the rear.  It goes to clear plastic hosing there.

Take your new longer tube and attach it to the old cracked tube and pull it down through the body.  Connect it in the jack access panel.  Put the flex boot back in place.  Done

The boot comes off easily it's just on there like a rubber grommet.  I little lip of the boot is on both sides of the sheet metal of the car body.  Just push it in a little and pull.

I used hose off the junk yard car.  I only found about 2" hardened trimming it back and it seemed like new.

If you use the old hose to pull it through you will not have to remove any interior plastic trim.  Sweet.

Hey..thanks!!

I've already taken off some of the interior trim because I was rooting around in there trying to figure out what the heck was going on.  

How did you go about making the connector at the spray nozzle.  I'm assuming you have to take off the interior trim panel and you'll see it.  So far I've taken off interior trim hoping to get "eyes on" the leak, only to figure out the hose was inside the frame.

Thanks..hope to be able to root around in there again soon.

NH

There is a connector right at the top of the hatch to the hose that runs to the spray nozzle.

I'd start up there.  It's the flex boot on the drivers side.

Just reaching down in the jack compartment with you hand you should be able to find the washer hose.  It goes from clear plastic to black rubber there.

If it's off the sprayer you will have to pull the hatch inside panel.