Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with tranny codes 1996 Impreza Outback AWD

Thanks for all the responses to my other questions.  I've done quite a bit of shade tree mechanicing...but this is my first Subaru.  Car was bought new in the extended family and has been passed down to one of my teenagers now.

Anyway, it has always done the 16 flashes thing with the AT temp every time you start it.

I changed the fluid and the filter and perhaps noticed it shifted a little smoother, although it has never seemed to act up or shift hard.

Here is something interesting.  I also get an ABS light as soon as I roll 10 feet or so.  Light stays on.  I've followed the procedure and get no blinking light.  Apparently you are supposed to get some sort of blinking that says system is ok, even if no codes.  I get nuttin..

I've attached the procedure that I followed to attempt to get tranny codes.  And...no blinking.  I wonder if there is some place where the two tests "cross" or share a common ground or.. who knows.

For  while I thought the cigarette lighter and the OBD II connector were not working.  Turns out the port for the OBD is a little finicky and you have to push hard on one side to get it to connect.  Then it works fine.  Least little thing will disconnect.  No codes on OBD.  I went to my diagnostic tool and looked at all the data points it can read, everything listed seems to be passing data and changing as engine speed changes.  

So...the only other electrical oddness things are a not working cigarette lighter, (with good fuse and good OBD) and sometimes the air conditioning compressor seems to come on, even if A/c isn't selected.

Every once in a while the blower for a/c won't work in any position, but a whack to the underside of passenger dash will bring it back to life.

Anyone have any ideas?  

NH

crazy procedure to read transmission code 2 small doc.pdf

47 minutes ago, wtdash said:

I'd read/try this, too: https://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html

Specifically for the Gen 1 ('89-'94) Subarus, but supposedly works for Gen 2 ('95-'98) too - which are both considered Phase 1. The one you posted states it should work on  Phase 1 & 2, which I find doubtful?? I didn't compare the instructions.

I'll have to play around with this over the weekend.  I'm not familiar with the "manual" button, but I'll certainly give it a shot.

NH

Manual button won't apply on the '95+ models. ......My mistake on that.

I know I've got it to work on the '95-'98 models, but can't recall HOW. I had  a '98 OB that I had to diagnose.

I found this, too- "EndWrench" was Subaru tech support for USA mechanics (I believe). They published a bunch of articles that had inside info.

Used to be a website which is no longer online, but this site 'captured' many of them: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/--Articles--/--Endwrench--/Files/

EndWrench article: 4EAT Phase 1 Diagnosis and Service
1995-98 Legacy, 1996-98 Impreza, 1996-97 SVX, 1998 Forester, Diagnostics (OBD -II Vehicles)
The AT Oil Temperature light operates under the following conditions:
Ignition switch ON/engine OFF is the bulb check mode, the light remains ON. Normal: Ignition switch ON/ Engine ON, light remains on for two seconds from engine start.

Note: A failure is never reported via the AT oil temp light during current operation. The TCU waits until the next ignition cycle to display the following AT oil temp light condition. Therefore the driver may detect an abnormal driveability condition (fail safe operation) with no AT oil temp light indicating a failure.

Abnormal - With the ignition switch ON and the engine running, the light remains ON for 2 seconds from engine start. OFF for 0.25 seconds, ON for 0.25 seconds 4 times, then OFF for 2 seconds. Cycle repeats 4 times for a total of 16 Blinks.
Abnormal - ATF Temperature is too high The AT temp light comes ON and stays ON until the ATF temperature returns to normal.
Trouble Codes
Trouble code retrieval is similar to previous models, except for grounding terminal # 5 of connector B82 a 6 pole black, right side of steering column.Trouble codes will be displayed through AT Temp light with the following differences. There are 14 possible trouble codes communicated from the TCU. They are displayed in the same format as old fuel system trouble
codes, long Flash = 10, short flash = 1. For example: 2 long and 4 short = code 24, Duty Solenoid C. The clear memory procedure is simple and quick, just remove fuse No. 14 for at least one minute.

OBD-II Operation Overview
The system monitors components and their operation, conducting continuity and performance checks. The check engine light or MIL illuminates when a code is set into ECU memory. Problems with the 4EAT are communicated from
the TCU to the ECU. There are 2 trouble codes that are generated as soon as a problem occurs, turning on the MIL.With 22 others requiring a fault or error during two consecutive trips, before turning on the MIL. A trip is defined as a driving pattern in which test parameters are reached for a given time.A failed trip will be erased if the next trip is a good one.

Transmission codes generated in OBD-II have freeze frame information available on the Select Monitor in the fuel system section of data display.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

So...I scrolled through the troubleshooting manual and didn't see the procedure to pull codes from the transmission.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1996/Service Manual/TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION.pdf

I also looked through the transmission section of the service manual and didn't see it there as well.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1996/Service Manual/

The troubleshooting section was massive...so I suppose I could have missed it.  I didn't find where they talked about the light flashing to indication trouble, but they seemed to want you to hook up a special Subaru diagnostic tool.

Anyway...I was hoping to find it before I played with this more tomorrow.

Any other thoughts or tips are appreciated.

NH