Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut question. When to replace mounting kit and boot kit

I've got all 4 new monroe struts to put on and before I go digging into the job, I'm trying to figure out if I should just replace all the boots and mounting kits too, or if there is a way to test them.

My pickle is that nobody carries these items locally.  I suppose I could return them if I ended up not using them.  Anyway, is there a way to check them before digging into this job?

Am I correct that the mounting kit is some kind of bearing?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/monroe-strut-mate-strut-boot-kit-63619/18570485-p

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/monroe-strut-mate-strut-mounting-kit-902924/18570446-p

I'm at 258k miles.

The struts have lots of grease on them and after I rubbed for a while I found that they were "Subaru" parts.  So...perhaps they are original.  

My gut says I should put everything in nice and new and likely I'll never have to think about this again.  I don't have much experience with struts and the associated hardware, so I'm not sure if I could figure out if they are really broken or not.  Or if they are getting ready to fail.

NH

I would definitely order the front tophats to have on hand at least .. those are the ones that have the bearing in them for steering. and KYB for the win there

Rears don't typically have many issues.

springs, boots, and other stuff, unless in really bad shape, just swap over to the new struts.

• Like 2