Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Melling EA82 oil pump?

Honestly has anybody ever used the Melling oil pump for the EA82? I just talked to an older Subaru guy here locally and he has two brats EA82 swapped and his GL. All 3 are using a Melling pump from Autozone. Or would i be better off collecting pumps from junk yards and resaling them?

3 minutes ago, 86BRATMAN said:

Ask this Advance employee and you'll get the right part if it's available lol. There is no such beast for the ea82 though. 

or the EA81 for than matter. I bought my spares from directly from Subaru when they were still available. I recall having to wait a long time for them to get a batch of them in from Japan. I was told by a shop owner I know that the Japan Fukushima radiation situation destroyed most of the older stock of parts for Japanese cars. It makes sense and it's sad if it's true.

Aparently our Autozone had the last 3. The old parts guy hoarded them for his Suby. The Old guy I talked to bought two and somebody else just had bought the last one, last week. Somebody who fabricates needs to make an external wet sump pump from peterson work lol. Thanks for the help guys. I should have bought it when it was in stock lol

• Like 1

Dave T, Peterson sells a wet sump external pump. It would mount down low next to the oil pan and have to have a belt system to drive it. A pickup would have to be placed in the pan and the external pump would have a feed tube. The pump would pump it out with an external line to an oil filter relocation kit and then into the engine. Hard to describe really but it would be costly as the pump is $700 alone. For the cost an EJ Swap would be more cost efficient. A lot more power and upgrades from an EJ. 

Yes the last NEW pump was bought last week Ynotdiy. Makes me angry! Lmao

Edited by wagons

Hmmmm.  Maybe some other type of oil pump.  PS too low of volume - the parts that move the oil are a LOT smaller. 

Peterson at $700 a pump, wow.  

I've thought about the EJ swap.  If I had that power, I'd end up using it, and breaking other NLA parts.  Plus it is a ton of work, not that that would stop me...  How much longer will even EJ parts be around?  I wouldn't want to do the upgrade for that reason, only to have them go NLA in a few years.

Going to be a very long time before EJ parts go NLA. You can buy an oil pump for a 2019 STI and bolt it onto a 1990 EJ22. Just for example. You have 30 years of compatible parts. Compared to 10 on the EA82, and only 5 on the EA81. 

And the swap is not that hard. Not even nearly "a ton of work". With the swap parts commercially available now like adapter plates, etc. It's actually rather easy. The *why* is the question. Just buy a car that already has it like a Legacy or Forester. They do literally everything better and easier. 

I don't understand how people even stand driving the EA's. I drive the wife's 2001 OBW and am honestly terrified half the time I'm going to get run over in it. I guess I'm just spoiled by 1980's Chevy Small Block performance :blink:.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to know the EJs are not going anywhere. 

Why EA?  in no particular order, and not complete...

Now that I have passed the 25 year mark, I will not deal with another car newer than 25 years old, just to avoid emissions hassles.  For whatever reason, I just always have those crop up when I am already crazy busy.  SO done with that.

I never had an older / original Legacy, but we did have an 01 Forester for my wife.  I could out maneuver it with my EA wagons, and all the newer versions are even bigger.  Ok, didn't have to do the timing belts as often, but the DIY cost was nearly 5 times higher. 

Both of us can tell where the EA is on the road & parking a lot better than with the newer rounded cars. 

I can get bigger things into the back of my EA wagon than any of the newer models I've checked.  Not by a lot, but a few items, it mattered.

Do not want AWD forcing me to always run 4 identically worn tires.   Bigger tires are more $ also, so not interested.

I've also added lighting to my wife's Foresters, and now Impreza.  [We replaced her 09Forester with an 09 Impreza recently, as she could not get used to the bigger rounder shape.  Horrible time parking, etc.]  What a PITA!  all the wiring is hidden, even under the hood. 

Even though I am an electronics engineer [or maybe because I am one...] I don't want MORE computers to maintain and deal with in my vehicles.  One for the ECU is ok, but that's enough.

I don't drive tons of miles a year.  I know the EA and have acquired or made all the tools I need to do nearly everything with them.  Don't need to start over.  It's now also just one of my hobby things - see how long I can keep running them.  Because I can.

• Like 5

I’m with DaveT on all those points except the EA comments. EJ the EA chassis and enjoy!

Soooo much better than the EA82 ever was and I’ve not ever leaked as much oil since!  The only lifter tick I get now is when I’m near due for an oil change and the oil level is near the bottom of the low mark. 

Love the L with the sort of power it should’ve had from the factory!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

@GeneralDisorder I love my EA82 wagon but I definitely hate the fact that I have to search for tailights (kids like to drop and lean bikes on them) And all other parts for the matter. I too drive Chevrolets. I have an 1987 Suburban and a 1982 1500 with a utility bed. Just recently the suburban broke a power steering mount bracket. Took the pump and bracket off my 82 which is getting a transmission and was driving within a couple hours. I love EJs because they are torquey, and like an SBC parts interchange over 15 years. This is why I have given up in the EA82 engine. I am looking for a swap, but thanks to Scott @ SJR we can still drive our EA82 with a Weber carb on an EJ! Simple and still seems like it came from the factory, minus crossmember drop and lift to clear the hood.