Ultimate Subaru Message Board

poop! exh port gasket shot EA82T

jono

If you have the room to get at it, go down to your local hardware store and get yourself a good hot torch and try putting some heat into the block before undoing them. I always re-assemble these with a good quality high temp anti-seize compound on them as well, makes life so much easier if you have to pull them apart again at a later date.

Cheers,

Al

If the threads are bad the studs usually just pull out with the nut . The nut/thread are seized together and act like a bolt. Treat them like a bolt and carry on. I just pull them and reinstall them like they’re a bolt  

Use a 6 point socket only and if it’s really tight only loosen it a half a turn or two and move on to the next one. Come back and loosen another turn or so. Move on again. This prevents the stud and threads from overheating and stripping.  

On a turbo model you must use a gasket with a fire ring like a head gasket. If you use the waffle style gaskets this will always happen. People really don't understand that you always have pre-turbine exhaust manifold pressure. A "good" turbo will be about 2:1 ratio. Poor inefficient turbos can be 3:1 or higher. So that 7 psi in your intake manifold translates to at least 14 psi in your exhaust manifold and maybe more. That's 14 psi of 900 to 1300 degree exhaust gasses at WOT. Gaskets without fire rings will NOT work here. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Tested and found turbo sside head has stripped on exhaust stud. I am armed with that imperial stud thread upgrade - do the holes of manifold flanges need Oversizing?

Also have helicoil kit in 10..1.25

Also have original asbestos filled gaskets with fire ring as well as perforated with fire ring

May try big bore 42 mI have up pipe i

Phone is corrupted or drumk

Thanks moosens but we are a little too far apart for you to help with supply. I have gaskets just lacking motivation ...got any of that? 

I need to tidy work area then prepare to start early in the cool of the day as getting high 30's C° at the moment

High 30s is good if there’s a breeze - and you can keep out of the sun!

We’ve already had a couple of days in the early 40s. We don’t do much on these days other than sweat it out without the old power hungry AC on - 1940’s style :P

best of luck with that rethread. Not fun. 

Thebother trick you could do is place the stud back where it should be once the thread is fixed, then run a hole through the side of the head, through the stud and place a grub screw or just a piece of metal rod in there to act as a lock if the stud ever tried to move again.  This would be best done with the head on a bench, not in the vehicle. 

I helicoiled one of the exhaust studs on our brumby, tapped the thread all the way through that steel spacer plate ours have due to the EGR system addition. That was the hard section, the alloy head was easy. 

Cheers 

Bennie

In the sun at those temps is redickerless ...gets to about 55°C ...as it starts to cloud over iI get the idea of setting up the folding gazebo !

Might be a new years thing - get it done tonight. I have never had my helicoil repairs fail

A big thank you to the turkey who repaired 3 threads with coils and left the fourth stud hole to cause me issues

Same turkey used gaskets without fire rings and not very generougenerous amount of gasket material

Can of worms continues. I got torque the exhaust nuts up to 34 ft/lbs found in my Gregories for M10 engine and crunch goes someone else's insert :(

Only thinking at the moment but the 7/16 trick probably not work if hole had been tapped for an insert

Looks like need to do a 7/16 tepair insert first. Insert repairs i found looked like installed with a liquid locker

Ho hum

Just looked at your link Bennie. Not actually seen these before, read of their concept. 

Also read in factory manuals 19-22 ft/ lbs specifically for these nuts

My mistakeinterpreting fro. Gregories when FSM was right next to it !

Will be going kit to repair for 7/16 -20 unf helicoils