Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Outback 2.5i - Relay for throttle body? P2101

12 hours ago, 3Pin said:

Why are you asking?

I am having a complex issue and have done a bit of testing up to this point.

Basically when I start my car I have code P2101, at first I thought my throttle body (the actuators in it) were dead so I replaced my throttle body assembly, but to no avail.

I did another test and started the car again, but this time unplugged the TPS while the car was running. Zero change at all. This leads me to believe faulty wiring to the connector. But when I first made this post I was thinking it could be a relay feeding the TPS causing a short or something similar. Upon measuring the reference voltage wire on the TPS connector I got +7V instead of +5V... very odd. Anyone have ideas?

I do know that my accelerator pedal is working because when I plugged in my diagnostic program the sensor read the pedal change, and if I put the pedal to the floor the motor will accelerate slowly.

We had a similar problem with a 2006-ish WRX. Ended up being one of the throttle body relays had no supply power and the fault was somewhere behind the dash inside the harness. I traced the power to a plug at the driver's side of the dash, but where the wire came out to the relay on the passenger side it had no power. According to the schematic there were no other connections in-between. Customer did not want to pay for a dash pull so I stole power from the other throttle body relay (same fused circuit), and jumped it over to the dead plug. Solved the immediate problem. Car has never been back that was maybe a couple years ago. May not be your problem but I have seen it. 

GD

5 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

We had a similar problem with a 2006-ish WRX. Ended up being one of the throttle body relays had no supply power and the fault was somewhere behind the dash inside the harness. I traced the power to a plug at the driver's side of the dash, but where the wire came out to the relay on the passenger side it had no power. According to the schematic there were no other connections in-between. Customer did not want to pay for a dash pull so I stole power from the other throttle body relay (same fused circuit), and jumped it over to the dead plug. Solved the immediate problem. Car has never been back that was maybe a couple years ago. May not be your problem but I have seen it. 

GD

Thanks for the info GD!

Do the throttle bodies around these years have their own dedicated relays or do they use the MAIN relays on the diagrams? So far looking through the service manuals I haven't found any information pointing towards a dedicated relay for the throttle body, but there are also a lot of diagrams to read, no doubt I could have missed something!

Still a bit tripped out that I got +7V on the reference voltage wire... but I am going to put that thought to the side right now and keep looking for areas of concern.

1 minute ago, GeneralDisorder said:

High voltage from a reference like that usually indicates a bad ground for the ECU's voltage divider. Check grounds for the ECU. 

There are dedicated relays for the throttle motor, yes. On the WRX they were in the passenger kick panel. 

GD

Good to know! I just started working on cars a year ago so my knowledge of all this is minimal and growing every day. The electrical side of cars is insane!

I will report back with today's findings