Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Code 34

Hi, 

Got my ECT replaced, wow what a difference! Baby runs so much better now. Still throwing code 34 - EGR solenoid or circuit. Pulled off the EGR valve and cleaned it. I'm able to move the diaphragm by hand while engine is idling, rpms drop as expected. My ohm meter shows open circuit across the vacuum solenoid. No clicking at all when 12v is applied. Next step is to replace it. Looks like Hitachi # W0133-1624136 is the replacement. My question is this: is there a bolt-on EGR valve that actuate with 12v instead of vacuum pressure? Basically bypass the vacuum solenoid & mechanical valve. Actuate it directly with electrons like more modern EGRs. Simpler and maybe more reliable. Or will a electromechanical valve pull too much current for the ECU?

Thanks all- here's to keeping the EA's alive :headbang:

The function would not be correct.  The solenoid disables the egr while the ECU reads that the engine is not up to normal operating temperature. 

The Subaru solenoids die.  I have Toyota ones in mine, that are still working,  since 1988.  There are a few threads on the forum with the link to my Web page about the mod.  Later I can add it here.

Edited by DaveT
fixed typo