Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Part Help - Axle Seal for MT 88 GL

Hey Everyone,

I apologize for the parts question. I'm really not familiar with terms, but am trying hard to learn.

I'm looking for an axle seal for the transmission side of my 88 GL. I've got transmission oil leaking out of the passenger side axle where it meets the transmission.

Can someone please comment with a link, part number, and name of this seal.

Right now I'm just putting a bunch of seals into my cart on Rock Auto hoping that one of them will be correct.

I've got....

Input Shaft Seal

Output Shaft Seal

Drive Axle Seal

Extension Seal

Axle Shaft Seal (this is the one I think it is, listed as front outer, but there is no image)

Thanks so much! I'm moving to Chicago and hoping to get everything I need to seal this up before I take off.

The help is always appreciated.

Not a bad move. Thanks GD. I called my local shop and the guy goes "oh here we go" like I wasn't going to have the correct numbers. Everything checked out Bennie. Funny they had the 31 seal in stock, but not the 32. They are definitely side specific?

They had everything else as well.

Thinking a 2.2 swap is in my future. Probably in the next few years. Honestly it sounds fun to me.

Yes they are side specific. The seals have tiny ribs on the lip that guide the gear oil back into the trans when driving forward. The angle of the ribs matters. 

But it's a jelly-bean part. You can measure the seal, order a standard off-the-shelf lip seal of the correct dimensions and it will work fine. Subaru used directional seals sometimes, and other times not. Both styles can be seen in various years of the R160 rear diff seals. Both work just fine. A generic, size matched, non directional seal would do the same job. The directional seal was overly cautious and overly engineered. 

GD

3 hours ago, YnotDIY said:

@86BRATMAN haha yeah I did. These parts cross over a bunch of years. Well into the 2000's.

Yeah they do :D  That’s one of the reasons why I knew they could be found. The painful part is that the MT diff was listed AFTER the Auto Trans. That took me a moment or two to work out... 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, rae houghton said:

If you have time to post pics, would love to see them.

I suppose when a person pulls out a tranny, and puts it back, or replaces it, the seals should always be replaced???? This is a real question to anyone caring to answer.

Depends on how they’re looking before you put the new gearbox in - or if you want to do them it’s the best time with the box out. 

Also remember to replace the massive O ring on each side. This is the seal for the threads on the bearing carriers. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks Bennie, If a person was storing the tranny for later use, what would be the best way  to keep it intact , .....should one leave tranny gear oil in place? Cover openings with what plastic bags. stuff a sock in? suggestions. remove gear oil and replace when planning to reuse tranny turn gears manually every so often?  thanks

I’d keep the oil in the box and keep it away from the weather and moisture if possible. 

I like to store them under my bench off the floor if possible. Otherwise on a block of wood or two on the cement slap (floor) out of the way is the go. 

You can cover up any openings to reduce the risk of dust getting in. 

The sun might perish the seals, but it’s take a number of years in a shed. Left out in the Aussie summer sun it could take a year or two to kill the shaft seals

Cheers 

Bennie