Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$46,000 BRAT!!!!!!

Yeehaa. Pretty wild ! 

It’s solid , and regardless of how accurate the previous sellers have been it’s managed to set the new standard. 

I can pick stuff out but at this point let it all be. It exists. It not only survived but was obviously really cared for. Also had parts thrown at it that (just about) only someone from SOA in south Jersey could make happen. Great story. And I wonder about the SOA exec. who first ones it because I also had one Gen one Brat come my way thru an elder SOA exec. I’ve not had contact with him since a good decade ago. Hmmm

But holy crap man , $46k and change , PLUS the BAT fee and it’s like $48k someone said. 

Mike the Plummer - today is your day !!! Lol

Todd , I’ll bet you feel the same way. It’s almost like worthy of a celebration. We older (somewhat) folks who grew up with the 70’s vehicles must all be very proud. At least those of us who’ve kept the torch burning and passed along. 

Enjoy your rides ! Hunt those parts and stock while you can. Be aware of EA81 car crossover bits and anything else which can crossover (not a lot). EJ swaps aren’t the worst thing , keep it rolling ! 

20 minutes ago, moosens said:

Todd , I’ll bet you feel the same way. It’s almost like worthy of a celebration. We older (somewhat) folks who grew up with the 70’s vehicles must all be very proud. At least those of us who’ve kept the torch burning and passed along. 

Enjoy your rides ! Hunt those parts and stock while you can. Be aware of EA81 car crossover bits and anything else which can crossover (not a lot). EJ swaps aren’t the worst thing , keep it rolling ! 

Yes...VERY PROUD!!! I think BAT is the best way to market a vehicle!

Wow that was 2016 ? Geez , I “need” to stick my nose in BaT more often.  $7k for that ‘74 - to me it’s not that much , little steep , but I personally have a ton of parts for that one and enough knowledge and skills to keep it healthy on a good budget.

I hope this brings out more old Subies.

• Like 1

As Moosens said..... I'll let it be. I have a serious problem believing the ODO though.  My BRAT is in similar shape, WITH the decals (spent it's life in the garage of a 60-90 year old before I purchased it in 2005).  Mine has original carpet in back, jump seat belts are just as nice, headrests are WAY nicer, mine has original plaid seats (which that one should, being a GL) mine has original mini york AC compressor, without hose clamps etc.  Ok, I guess I'm not letting it be......... I am ecstatic about the price though!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moosens said:

Wow that was 2016 ? Geez , I “need” to stick my nose in BaT more often.  $7k for that ‘74 - to me it’s not that much , little steep , but I personally have a ton of parts for that one and enough knowledge and skills to keep it healthy on a good budget.

I hope this brings out more old Subies.

I remember when this was on CL before a dealer bought it and put it on BAT. I think the original asking price was like $3k. I'd have been all over it at that time but I had just purchased my 73 GL coupe like a month before for $5k. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:28 PM, Jonv23 said:

As Moosens said..... I'll let it be. I have a serious problem believing the ODO though.  My BRAT is in similar shape, WITH the decals (spent it's life in the garage of a 60-90 year old before I purchased it in 2005).  Mine has original carpet in back, jump seat belts are just as nice, headrests are WAY nicer, mine has original plaid seats (which that one should, being a GL) mine has original mini york AC compressor, without hose clamps etc.  Ok, I guess I'm not letting it be......... I am ecstatic about the price though!!

Wow !!! You just got my first “like” I think. I don’t do much of that stuff just because I’m borderline old fart. Lol

Very impressive !! I’d drool over that for an hour at a car meet. Enjoy it !

On 12/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, impostor said:

I remember when this was on CL before a dealer bought it and put it on BAT. I think the original asking price was like $3k. I'd have been all over it at that time but I had just purchased my 73 GL coupe like a month before for $5k. 

You got the better investment for sure. And yeah , Sedan was way high but still glad someone cared enough. 

My former two door sedan - 1976 DL Automatic 1600 now sits in a showroom in Sweden. We acquired the vehicle with I think 32k and sold it with 36k IIRC.

Buyer paid $2000 or whatever year it was he actually paid that amount $2003? And the car smelled new inside still. Notorious front fender foam strip caused the typical rust/rot and that made for a hole in the drivers fender and really not much of any other rust anywhere. 

Just another reference for the gang. 

I want to know who these people are bidding on BaT?   They are insane!!

I mean take this for an example:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-toyota-4runner/

current bid $6,200 for a 3.0 4Runner with 138k miles???   That thing is maybe worth $3000 AT MOST!  And thats while its currently running and driving.   Not very long from now that motor will be trash.  lol

Anyhow, $46K for a Gen1 Brat is absolutely ridiculous.   I call B.S.

Edited by TheSubaruJunkie

Maybe I need to put my coupe on there with a crazy high reserve and see what happens......................

I mean I really like the car and all, and spend a LOT of time and money on her, but if someone were to offer anywhere close to what the Brat got, I wouldn't pass it up. My car has got to be way more rare than a Brat. More desirable? I guess that depends completely on the buyer. Probably a moot point as BAT does not just let you set your own reserve, you have to agree to what they think the reserve is. I tried earlier in the year to list my fully restored 66' Datsun 520 pickup there, but they would only agree to a 5k reserve. Ended up putting it on eBay with a 8k reserve and got 9k for it. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten more on BAT, but was not willing to gamble that it would only meet the 5k reserve. if they would have agreed to the 8k reserve, it would have been a no brainer.

IMG_20140917_185715_708.jpg

18 minutes ago, Datsunrides said:

Maybe I need to put my coupe on there with a crazy high reserve and see what happens......................

I mean I really like the car and all, and spend a LOT of time and money on her, but if someone were to offer anywhere close to what the Brat got, I wouldn't pass it up. My car has got to be way more rare than a Brat. More desirable? I guess that depends completely on the buyer. Probably a moot point as BAT does not just let you set your own reserve, you have to agree to what they think the reserve is. I tried earlier in the year to list my fully restored 66' Datsun 520 pickup there, but they would only agree to a 5k reserve. Ended up putting it on eBay with a 8k reserve and got 9k for it. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten more on BAT, but was not willing to gamble that it would only meet the 5k reserve. if they would have agreed to the 8k reserve, it would have been a no brainer.

love the tailgates on those things! DATSUN across the back.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:13 AM, Subasaurus said:

have you ever considered putting White Walls on the tires? i think it will help the look of the car, very clean though.

I have considered it.  The tires on it now, I put on it, in 2005.  Being they're over 10 years old now, no tire shop will touch them.  I have the steel rims that were on it when I bought it, but I like the look of the Jackman's better.  I had both sets sandblasted and powder coated, so they both look like new. 

On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, Jonv23 said:

I agree, it does!

I still like mine better than the $46K brown one!

IMG_1769.thumb.jpeg.ae5160a7ffb8c3b17afeef3431f62740.jpeg

JONV 23   Where did you acquire this BRAT? It look very much like my old one from TX. Is that a 1980? Message me....subaru3@aol.com

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TOsborn said:

Interesting.  BAT recently denied my submission to auction Quattro San.  They said that due to interest, they are only considering submissions for $10k+ vehicles.  They definitely are not the website they used to be. 

this is why i don't ever look at BaT unless its for curiosity i can relate to (like this brat that just sold). i just cruise on craigslist looking at weird, quirky, or obscure cars that i may be able to buy, i don't think i'll ever spend more than 5,000 on a car ever in my entire life since i can fix them. but that's just me.

One of the most powerful drivers of demand IS nostalgia! 

I'll bet no one in the 80s was thinking about a company that would make ENTIRE 1960s Mustang body shells for the unit price of nearly $20k.  People are just getting sick of new BORING cars, so everyone is dragging the old steel and plastic kicking and screaming into the 2020s... :)

In the early 2000s I saw people hauling 70s and 80s Subarus to scrap that people would pay several grand for now...  So when something like that BRAT (though we can all agree it was far from perfect, it grabbed some attention) and people love anything that gets enough attention..  A bit surprising on sale price, but it's a bout time our little Subarus become desirable enough people spend a chunk on them.  Imagine telling someone in that sold their good condition R32 GTR for $4k ten years ago... that it's worth nearly $75k now!

People were appalled when I spent $1,000 in 2001 on a 1969 Mustang coupe with a broken window and blown engine and damaged rear axle.  (even came with the new window and short block) . Dont ask what I sold it for in the recession to help me move to Ireland.. EEK.. but yeah, it's worth a chunk more today!

1970s Nissans and Datsuns.. the look on my dad's face when he saw how much a 240Z costs if its in only fair condition.. haha

The good thing in this is that people are starting to look at Subarus not only as something rare to preserve, but also an investment.  They are now more likely to be preserved/restored or listed for sale instead of scrapped when someone finds one or a barn full.

AND IF enough people are trying to fix them up/keep them on the road and in their family... the parts suppliers will add old Subaru products to their offerings...