Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FOR LAUGHS and THE FUTURE

Just cruising the Crosstrek threads which are only 4 pgs deep....crazy....

Came across this and had to share over here. With the vast amount of knowledge on the 80's threads (and others) this just threw me because we generally don't see posts like this over here.

Not trying to shame anyone, but man, this had me rolling for a minute.

DON'T WORRY, IT'S SHORT AND SWEET > https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/166248-led-lights-in-map-lightsdisaster/

This had me thinking, because I'm interested in getting an outback sport or early 2000's outback in the next few years. So what do ya'll think?

1) How new are you willing to go with Subaru? 80's and 90's till death?

2) Anyone in here CVT over Manual? (I know it's not that easy)

3) Anyone favor newer models of other brands? (I'm definitely not a one brand kind of person)

1. Depends. I love my EA81 and EA82 platform, but I wouldn't mind anything with an H6 or an EJ22. I shy away from everything else.

2. Manual all day. Only time i've heard someone prefer a CVT is on the trails, guess they don't know the power of the dual range haha.

3. I like toyotas and hondas. Pretty reliable although our 4runner blew a headgasket at only 270K miles.

Really depends what you want to do. If it's a DD subaru isn't bad. Especially if you need the AWD. If you want to trail it Tacomas and 4Runners all day.

My Loyale is my DD because it is reliable and inexpensive. Going on 25 years driving the same car and still love it. This was purchased new for a DD role and fulfulls that role for me.  No car payment is its best feature. The new stuff looks fun, not ruling it out. If they ever make the nanny gadgets standard only then will I rule them out.

1. I have LOVED my '00-'04 Outbacks, when the 2 that my wife and I are driving fail, I will replace them with others.

I love the way the '05-'09 ones drive, but with Immobilizers, and CAN systems, they become more difficult for a DIYer to modify/maintain, so I'm hesitant to make that step at this point.

2. CVT, specifically? My mom has a 2012 Impreza with one, and I don't mind driving it, but I'd still prefer a manual.

Automatic in general? Yes, when towing, rowing gears gets old, and on the rocks, unless you've got about a 250:1 crawl ratio, clutch pedal is a pain. I'll take an auto every day. But for a spirited drive on an open road, manual is the only way to go.

3. I'm not a one-brand person, either. But my preferences on vintages are about the same, Toyota and Honda started using Immobilizers much sooner than Subaru, for example.

80s and 90s til death for me. 

Subaru sucks now, they are just toyotas with flat engines now in my humble opinion. 

I have owned a 99 outback, they are solid cars but not my cup of tea. They are fantastic grocery getters but too big and underpowered for crazy off roading. 

To answer your questions, i feel that the last year of the pretty Subarus was 94, the first gen legacy and impreza. It's funny that Subaru was always on the opposite side of using alphanumerics. The only body styles i would consider buying are those, from the 80s when they were actually unique. GL, DL, XT BRAT etc...

I do love the early ej engines. I have a 95 ej22 in my 86 GL and i love that combo. +1 on the dual range transmission, i was buried up to the pumpkin in snow and a little digging and she beasted out of snow so deep the door wouldn't open.  She's pretty sleeper now, actually faster than my 77 camaro in a drag race. 

If money were no object, i would sti swap my 85 xt, but it is and i think i would LS swap something first.

Oh and three pedals only except for a th350 in my old rv. :-)

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YnotDIY said:

ad me thinking, because I'm interested in getting an outback sport or early 2000's outback in the next few years. So what do ya'll think?

1) How new are you willing to go with Subaru? 80's and 90's till death?

2) Anyone in here CVT over Manual? (I know it's not that easy)

3) Anyone favor newer models of other brands? (I'm definitely not a one brand kind of person)

have multiples and then it doesn't matter. 

make the EJs sacrificial for the old gen.  XT6's are my daily drivers and EJ's can take the rust beating in the winter.

automatic.   i don't want clutch maintenance, input shaft bearings, shifter bushings, synchros, single point of failure center diffs, less tow friendly, they're a dying breed and harder to find parts for....all that time is needed to replace headgaskets. lol.  for me they have one redeeming practical quality which doesn't make up for those things. 

Jono, in fact yes, I have a picture somewhere of my GL next to one. Some cool chick had hers factory fresh with the granny gear and 4wd. Those were definitely cool wagons, but at least here in CO, those are a much more rare sight than an L series. 

For the record, the first gen GLs and DLs are the prettiest of the ea platform, imho.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jono said:

Hey sparkyboy, you ever seen a Toyota Corona station wagon of early and mid eighties? They can be visually confused with EA82 L wagons.

So EA82 styling is not as unique as EA81 body style don't you think?

Plus the Tercel, 505(?) and the Magna of the same era - very close back in the day but easily distinguishable apart today!

I still Iove the L series and it’s shape. I also love the fact that I can choose what computers to put in it. Currently it has one for the EJ. It’ll stay this way too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:37 AM, el_freddo said:

Plus the Tercel, 505(?) and the Magna of the same era - very close back in the day but easily distinguishable apart today!

I still Iove the L series and it’s shape. I also love the fact that I can choose what computers to put in it. Currently it has one for the EJ. It’ll stay this way too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Bennie - 

Do you have an EJ ECU and an EA82 engine?  I didn't realize they were compatible like that.

7 hours ago, YnotDIY said:

Bennie - 

Do you have an EJ ECU and an EA82 engine?  I didn't realize they were compatible like that.

No, I’ve got an EJ ECU under the dash running an EJ22 ;) 

You could make the EJ ECU run the EA82 but you’d be better off using the EJ18 ECU and you’d have to fabricate crank angle sensor tabs and a mount for said sensor. I’m sure there will be more stuff than just that but in my mind they’re the major hurdles. 

Really though if you’ve gone to this effort with the wiring the rest of the conversion is pretty easy!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1