Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Writeup/Thread: Loyale RS EJ 5 lug hub fabrication w/ Cheap coilovers!

14 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

I would like to see some more info on some of these - like the EG33 Impreza. Are there any pictures or write-ups?

You can actually see the impreza in the one image in the back ground.  You can also google mudpreza 

Heres a few of the 95 TT legacy

C8ACA273-C29A-4032-929E-7DC31D927236.jpeg

• Like 1

I like that tube bar on the front of the Impreza. It looks good!

I’ve heard of one or two of these getting around Oz but never seen them in the flesh. 

With that dual range, do you have low range oil feeders to help keep the low range cool? Well worth looking into IMO, especially with that EG33 upfront! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yesterday! Nabbed the right side parts from the wrecking yard on Wednesday. Now Back to work! Took off the dust shield and started the mock up process, a little trimming and fitting here and there. Tacked it on and currently test fitting on the car. Everything seems to work great, did a powered free spin with the 4WD engaged and the hubs worked flawlessly. I have to do some trimming on this arm near the axle boot like the other(last pic). I love working with metal as you can always add more if you take off too much but I don't like to just hack away at everything, see how it works and tweak it here and there is the best way to go.

I should have the arm fully welded and braced this weekend and once I figure out a way to get poly bushings for these ( anyone know??????) off to the local powder coaters they go.

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, el_freddo said:

I like that tube bar on the front of the Impreza. It looks good!

I’ve heard of one or two of these getting around Oz but never seen them in the flesh. 

With that dual range, do you have low range oil feeders to help keep the low range cool? Well worth looking into IMO, especially with that EG33 upfront! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks Brother! no I don't have oil feeders..... yet :) ive seen a few mods done to them and if I went that route id prob do something a bit more refined. But considering all aspects it shouldn't be hard to do at all!

Pretty cool. Would have been nice to use newer hub assemblies, as the '00-'09 Leg/OBK have a unique outer spline count, so you're sort of limited on axle options.

I'd be nervous about getting it perfectly square, or is there enough flange contact to not have to worry about that too much?

7 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Pretty cool. Would have been nice to use newer hub assemblies, as the '00-'09 Leg/OBK have a unique outer spline count, so you're sort of limited on axle options.

I'd be nervous about getting it perfectly square, or is there enough flange contact to not have to worry about that too much?

These are hub assemblies from a 03 legacy, (3rd gen) the 4th gen axles are different( outers only) even though the wheel bearing design is almost the same.. well mounting points anyways. But the stock inner stub axles from the 3rd and 4th gen will mate up to damn near any “normal” ej style diff vlsd, open, suretrac etc.  I have a 03 legacy GT vlsd in my 95 impreza right now on stock 95 axles lol.  Diff options at this point are almost limitless.   

There was more than enough area to make sure the plate I’m welding on is flat. It’s honestly very straight forward. Just tedious. 

Edited by jdmleggy97

12 hours ago, jdmleggy97 said:

These are hub assemblies from a 03 legacy, (3rd gen) the 4th gen axles are different( outers only) even though the wheel bearing design is almost the same.. well mounting points anyways. But the stock inner stub axles from the 3rd and 4th gen will mate up to damn near any “normal” ej style diff vlsd, open, suretrac etc.  I have a 03 legacy GT vlsd in my 95 impreza right now on stock 95 axles lol.  Diff options at this point are almost limitless.   

There was more than enough area to make sure the plate I’m welding on is flat. It’s honestly very straight forward. Just tedious. 

3rd and 4th gens use the same splines at the hub (I just put a 4th gen rear hub assembly in my 3rd gen), but they are different from every other Subaru. As such, there is no off-the-shelf option to put an r180 in a '00-'09 Outback.

It's not a huge deal, and looks like it's going to work just fine for your use. But I'm just brainstorming for anyone in the future that might be thinking about this (as it's a really good idea), starting with like a '08+ Impreza hub assembly would probably give more options for axles.

Very cool!

Many years ago, ADAMNDJ started acquiring parts to try to graft Nissan truck front knuckles onto the trailing arms of his Brat, but I don't think it ever got finished.

Edited by Numbchux

3 hours ago, Numbchux said:

3rd and 4th gens use the same splines at the hub (I just put a 4th gen rear hub assembly in my 3rd gen), but they are different from every other Subaru. As such, there is no off-the-shelf option to put an r180 in a '00-'09 Outback.

It's not a huge deal, and looks like it's going to work just fine for your use. But I'm just brainstorming for anyone in the future that might be thinking about this (as it's a really good idea), starting with like a '08+ Impreza hub assembly would probably give more options for axles.

Very cool!

Many years ago, ADAMNDJ started acquiring parts to try to graft Nissan truck front knuckles onto the trailing arms of his Brat, but I don't think it ever got finished.

Oooo I had a feeling that’s where you were going.  The 4th and 3rd gen outer spline count are the same. But axle outers are still different. They may work (as your using them). But I wouldn’t trust it(but that’s me).   Even then abs ring isn’t the same lol.

The R180’s and axles are nice.  As the 160’s do break with abuse, off-roading/high power but if your throwing that much money at a L series.  Why not either hunt down 6sp spec b rear axles or call up DSS and have some made or something. Personally I’ve never broken a r160 or a rear axle even at the track I have snapped front ones though and grenaded numerous transmissions 

When I was doing the 6sp swap in my 4th gen someone in the forums was selling adapter hubs to run r180 Sti axles in 4th gen Hubs I think  but I never  got into it because I have a 160 on my setup. The car isn’t making big numbers , it is tuned but there’s almost no way I’m breaking a stock 160 and axles and with my setup. It would be more cool guy points but eh. 

Edited by jdmleggy97

A few days have past...

I finished up the welding and grinding and smoothing on the left side arm and cleaned up the right side even more. So on to the test drive! I have to grab some calipers and rotors from the wrecking yard before it’s ready to roll. Stay tuned!

A958BE15-6427-45EF-AB26-385F01BE6B3C.jpeg

10B0EB22-64E4-463D-8778-B3519DFBB227.jpeg

46FF8540-27FC-4778-B688-F04BF550C3D5.jpeg

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

This is awesome in the fact that it seems you’ve retained the factory driveshaft too by the looks of things. 

Does this mean your rear track is now the same as that of the donor liberty/legacy?

Cheers 

Bennie

Correct Sir! The track width is a little wider.. as I had no choice with the factory axle lengths but nothing crazy here’s a few pics of the suspension loaded and with the RS wheel attached. 

EA203ABD-F57E-4411-AFED-72F3CCCE2293.jpeg

5351CD1B-1B26-4C25-89B6-5B33FB829540.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jdmleggy97 said:

Correct Sir! The track width is a little wider.. as I had no choice with the factory axle lengths but nothing crazy here’s a few pics of the suspension loaded and with the RS wheel attached. 

That's fantastic. Hat tip to you for thinking out of the box, and getting it done.

I'm adding this to the Retrofitting FAQ.

• Like 1

What front lip is that from? It looks pretty good already!

If it were me I would try to either cut out those two vertical bars under your grille, but I think that space would need something to fill it like the vertical piece or two from a factory grille. For it to look factory though, the angles should match the grille, and then get those outside holes to match the turn signals and your car could be best of show. Put a tow hook through the drivers side or simply fill those in.  If that lip were fiberglass I could make that happen, but it looks plastic and I don't know how to work with that.

Even better would be to stuff an air to air intercooler. Keep the flat hood man! She would smash at autocross!

There is a lip from a volvo that fits e34 perfect :lol: I see it sometimes at shows and I like to call the owners on it, it's always a good laugh.

@jdmleggy97 Where are your projects located? If I bring the parts to do this to my xt will you help me with the welding and I will help you with the ej swap? Ummm...it seems like you would have that under control too but I would be willing to cut a wiring harness for you or give you the one in my 86. I have obd1 and obd2 but I still to have to cut the obd1.

Edited by sparkyboy

2 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Are you concerned about the trailing arms being too weak with all that metal cut away? :eek: Just concerned about safety is all.

I was actually. I Usually over do things because I always worry. But the 1/4 plate is welded on to the arm on the top, bottom, front and back. I also made 1/8" plates for the top and bottom of the 1/4" plate that are welded to that and run up the top and bottom of the arm up until the strut mount area. And finally I capped the inside of the arm with 1/16th" sheet metal. All welded together smoothed and welded again and smoothed. Not to mention the 4 bolts holding the hub bearing to the arm go through the actual arm itself. These arms are not very beefy in the first place imo. The welding looks like its done or was done by hand, its way to sloppy for a machine. So honestly I doubt structural integrity has been compromised, I would be more concerned with the increase in in-sprung weight I've added in metal

Edited by jdmleggy97

4 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Are you concerned about the trailing arms being too weak with all that metal cut away? :eek: Just concerned about safety is all.

This is a good visual if you were kinda lost. This was pre-rewelding and smoothing x2. I wanted them to look as good as possible and be structurally sound.

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

Top plate on arm shown (left) is shorter than the bottom plate on opposite side of similar design.

Edited by jdmleggy97

3 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

What front lip is that from? It looks pretty good already!

If it were me I would try to either cut out those two vertical bars under your grille, but I think that space would need something to fill it like the vertical piece or two from a factory grille. For it to look factory though, the angles should match the grille, and then get those outside holes to match the turn signals and your car could be best of show. Put a tow hook through the drivers side or simply fill those in.  If that lip were fiberglass I could make that happen, but it looks plastic and I don't know how to work with that.

Even better would be to stuff an air to air intercooler. Keep the flat hood man! She would smash at autocross!

There is a lip from a volvo that fits e34 perfect :lol: I see it sometimes at shows and I like to call the owners on it, it's always a good laugh.

@jdmleggy97 Where are your projects located? If I bring the parts to do this to my xt will you help me with the welding and I will help you with the ej swap? Ummm...it seems like you would have that under control too but I would be willing to cut a wiring harness for you or give you the one in my 86. I have obd1 and obd2 but I still to have to cut the obd1.

Hey brother! I'm pretty sure I nabbed it off a Volvo 850. Just had to think of 80"s cars that were square and had similar dimensions and its pretty darn close. Its missing the tow hook cover (ill find or get one eventually) and the fog holes are not very symmetrical but I'm planning on locating some nice 80's style lighting (cibie/marchal) with some cool retro covers, I think it will look pretty BA once its all said and done.

The lip being plastic is a downside but I also grabbed a older Chevy S10 lip (looked terrible on the car) that I can cut up and use for sides etc. I figure with the right epoxy and enough time I can make a decent product that looks good from at least 5 feet away lol.

I'm currently located in the PNW, I was planning on doing another set of these arms for anyone interested in the future I just have to wait until a loyale or which ever shows up in the yard. The hard part of test fitting and fabbing is done so its really just cutting and welding on the next ones.

Edited by jdmleggy97

Saturday the 12th

Nabbed a clean set of calipers and rotors from the wrecker here. Pads are totally worn down to nothing.  Seems the women who owned the car before didn’t care much about it.  Trashed it and drove it until she could get something else.  Sad... her loss my gain.

Anyway.... got them bolted up. And bled. The 3rd gens have the best brake hose setups imo. I was going to go with a 2nd gen caliper and Hose but realized the length would cause problems with how the L’s lines are plumbed.  I needed a short line and these work great only had to make a few Bends with the metal lines and eventually I will weld on the hose holder brackets and I’ll have a perfect setup...for me anyway ....

Crazy. The back brakes are larger than the fronts at this point lol  

First Drive coming soon!

75C13702-AC3E-4205-890F-4EC9CBAB8DDD.jpeg

Edited by jdmleggy97