Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Writeup/Thread: Loyale RS EJ 5 lug hub fabrication w/ Cheap coilovers!

First off I would like to say thank you for reading and showing intrest!

This is my current project of aggravation! I came across a RS hatchback in pretty good shape and just had to buy it. As I started digging into swapping and converting things here and there and the overall costs of such endeavors I kept getting stuck on the situation with 5 lug swapping the rear end. Re-drilling my drums was a waste of time and money, as well as trying to source xt6 parts. Customs hubs was a thought but also costly and with  all my available resources and knowledge of making things work I knew there had to be a better way. Then it dawned on me. Stop working with what's there, cut it out and replace it with something better from the start. Here is my creation!

Below I removed the wheel and just looked at this dated setup and thought about mating a newer bearing setup to replace the old axle and drum.

All of the 2nd gen stuff uses pressed in bearings which is way more work than its worth. Then I remembered the 3rd gen stuff (legacy) uses a more modern bolted on hub bearing!

Off to the junk yard  I went to grab a 3rd gen legacy rear axle, backing plate and hub bearing to start this transformation.

IMG_0371.jpg

Edited by jdmleggy97

1 minute ago, Crazyeights said:

I went the XT6 route and although it took a while and cost a bit it was worth it. Since then someone started making re-production XT6 hubs. How is it going with your project? Do you have the hub and axle adapted yet?

Actually I do, I'm still trying to figure out this page format as its not letting me add additional posts without quoting myself or anyone. Kinda confusing.

But using the updated stuff allows me to have the parking brake in the rear and almost any new up to date rear caliper vs the xt6 which would still limit me.

I test fir the axle length and made sure it wasn't going to be way off seemed super close so I mocked up the backing plate to see how it would look and went to work. First I had to clean up the backing plate a little, then I made a proto of my mounting plate that will be welded to the loyale control arm. I've indicated in red what will be gutted and removed.

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0401.JPG

3 minutes ago, Crazyeights said:

What I did was to re-drill a legacy backing plate to fit the EA82 trailing arm. This let me use legacy rear rotors and calipers. I still had to use XT6 hubs though. Like this;

Loyale Rear Brakes 1

That's not a bad idea at all, I would assume if you wanted to run the ebrake to the rear you can use Nissan or Honda calipers that would allow that!

4 minutes ago, Crazyeights said:

Soooo..... What about the axles ?

Axles are a combo for now, if I decide to go full ej driveline I would use stock 3rd gen legacy rear axles through and through. The axles are longer of course as the legacy track with is wider than the loyale but considering the 1/4 mounting plate it comes out pretty close. With the RS wheels on they are basically flush with the rear fenders, and ive tested the axle rotation at ride height ( as I know the distance closes) using the jack as you've seen in photos to load the suspension.

Edited by jdmleggy97

Wow man that is very good work and beautiful Subaru! If you paint those parts black, that will look like it's from the factory!

Did you happen to have the 13" 8 spokes? I'll buy them! What I need in my life are the 13" formula mesh like on this xt.

What engine is in the old girl right now? STi swap bro! 

Here is my xt project just for grins. I need to do the ej22 swap on this wacky thing. I still have to hack a harness :-/ but I have a resealed ej22 ready to go.

I have an 86 GL with an ej22, it's a fantastic combo. I have almost enough turbo goodies to boost both my subarus, but I am currently waist deep in my Camaro.

old_timer_odaiba_16_dino_dalle_carbonare_42-1200x800.jpg

shit 2 008.jpg

9 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Wow man that is very good work and beautiful Subaru! If you paint those parts black, that will look like it's from the factory!

Did you happen to have the 13" 8 spokes? I'll buy them! What I need in my life are the 13" formula mesh like on this xt.

What engine is in the old girl right now? STi swap bro! 

Here is my xt project just for grins. I need to do the ej22 swap on this wacky thing. I still have to hack a harness :-/ but I have a resealed ej22 

old_timer_odaiba_16_dino_dalle_carbonare_42-1200x800.jpg

Thanks brother! 

For her age and this area I think she’s a find.

No unfortunately it came with crappy steel wheels. Kinda what provoked me into the 5 lug conversion in the first place.  

Im planning at least a NA 2.2 maybe 2.5.  Haven’t really decided on swapping the driveline to newer stuff or not. But I may end up going that route.  A turbo setup would be easy but with all the other cars I have I might just leave it NA for now. 

Still have my:

ej20R powered 95 legacy GT

spec b clone 6sp 05 legacy GT

lifted eg33  95 impreza “mudpreza”

and a 04 G35 track

this car is more of a just a “why not” project in a way ya know. I would have hated seeing it scrapped or sitting in a junk yard.

Edited by jdmleggy97

Numbchux did a very thorough write up on the ej22 swap. Overall it was pretty wham bam and I ran into few problems, but I also spent more than a few hours studying a pinout and wiring diagram and the wiring had me literally on the verge of tears trying to power everything up, but if I can do it, then anyone can. It was my first time straying from old carbs and getting into efi, and I had few electrical skills outside of wiring a stereo.

It looks like you are well on your way to a full awd set up, I went the adapter plate route but now my old GL will absolutely murder my old Camaro in a drag race! And of all my cars (3 chevys, a bmw, and two subarus) my GL will do the longest burnout, well through second gear before getting any traction. 

The ea82t in my xt is my first turbo car and I know, only 110 hp but that car is fun to drive. A boosted n/a ej22 should make around 175-200 hp. I'm a tad worried about the dual range trans handling that power level, but I'll just be burning rubber and not slapping on slicks for full throttle 4 hi drag strip launches. That's what the xt single range 4wd is for! :-D

I know exactly what you mean about grabbing something just because. My xt was purchased off this website because the previous owner didn't want to see her parted out or scrapped.

WP_20161122_003_zps9gze26up.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy