Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EG33 swap into a first gen legacy

Way too long without moving the radiator and front support.

Also the EG33 is an odd duck for parts, not supported anymore really.  Becoming the next ER27 quickly.

If anything use an early EZ 30......common parts, easy and common ECU wiring (pre-immobilizer)

better and cheaper to drop a 96-99 DOHC 2.5 in if you want power.  Swap the 93 22 wiring onto the 2.5 mani and yer done.

• Like 1

chain takes up way less room than belt timing system.

I may be wrong - just repeating something I read long ago.

some of the guys doing swaps would probably know best - even into vanagons or exp. aircraft or sandrail builds.....?

. For some reason, it's hard to find actual dimensions with a simple search.

Yes, EG33 has been done many times. And the process is almost the same as on 2nd gen Legacies and 1st gen Imprezas. Which has been done hundreds of times, easily.

EG33 is very large. Radiator does have to be moved forward. I've seen the core support and latch chucked, and switch to hood pins. I've seen the radiator pushed in front of the latch (couple times with the stock SVX radiator, which sticks through the grill), or a shorter one down in the bumper like an Intercooler.

EZ30 is only like 1.5" longer than an EJ, and will fit with the radiator in stock position with thin fans.

I took these pictures last fall. EG33, first gen EZ30, second gen EZ30 (commonly referred to as an EZ30R, even though it's technically still an EZ30D). Obviously not super accurate comparison, but just look at the valve cover. And this EG33 has the timing cover smashed, so it looks smaller than it is.

44769935640_f9543dd5d9_c.jpg

20180816_201020 by Numbchux, on Flickr

44769936230_6b28db996c_c.jpg

20180816_201040 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You’re missing a first gen. 

Youll need to make one and do a reshoot... :P 

Cheers

Bennie

I have all 3 generations of Subaru H6.

I have several other Subarus (EA81, but nothing older), but I was focusing on the '6s for this discussion.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, el_freddo said:

You’re missing a first gen. 

Youll need to make one and do a reshoot... :P 

Cheers

Bennie

Would be way too long.  Possibly too wide also.  And way too heavy is an even bigger issue.

The EA81 cars there is no real upgade for a strut/spring combo that would hold up to that weight.  Even if you found something to work, the weight balance of the car would be WAAAAY off.  It would be a hell of a stop light racer though....if you could keep the tires from spinning or the trans from breaking.