Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Subaru Steering Wheel Vibration Help Please

Our 2009 Legacy Special Edition with 196,000 miles  has a vibration in the steering wheel/body when turning right(even slightly) at 65-75 MPH.  CV boots are good. Left front wheel bearing was slightly loose, changed it. Still vibrating. Changed both front axles. Still vibrating. Tie rod ends and ball joints  seem tight. Any suggestions? Could it be the u joint in steering shaft? How about the rear CV axles? Disgusted with this issue.

We briefly had some transient vibration problems with our '98 Legacy - turned out we were losing a CV joint.  But it didn't smell like it at first, so I was digging around a little in discussions that may apply to your newer ride.  I didn't get far into it, but the upshot seemed to be that Subaru didn't get the damping right the first time around, so there's a field upgrade that includes adding a weight to the column.  I'm sure there are those here who are familiar with it - perhaps there was a recall notice.

Edited by jonathan909

On 12/30/2018 at 8:21 PM, wmaney said:

vibration in the steering wheel/body when turning right(even slightly) at 65-75 MPH. 

Wheel bearing

Front control arm rear transverse bushing 

transmission mounts?  

rotate wheels - If the vibration changes you know it’s tires/wheels

• Like 1

I changed the axkes to try and eliminate the vibration when turning right, Still vibrating when turning right. Put my daughter's known good tires and wheels on this car. Vibration only when turning right still remains. Very frustrating.

8 hours ago, wmaney said:

I changed the axkes to try and eliminate the vibration when turning right, Still vibrating when turning right. Put my daughter's known good tires and wheels on this car. Vibration only when turning right still remains. Very frustrating.

Wheel bearing   It’s the other side you haven’t replaced yet.  I’d say only 2 out of 10 bad Subaru wheel bearings I’ve ever checked have play  even when they’re bad.  Play alone is not an accurate diagnosis  

or it’s a Bad hub on the side you already replaced causing the bearings to fail - I’d replace the entire knuckle assembly or get a new hub.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, el_freddo said:

On the front end you should always do things in pairs. Replace the rhs bearing, do the lhs as well etc. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Sure, any one person can choose to do that but it's incorrect as a statement - it's normative and commonplace to replace one bearing as there's no physical reason to replace a bearing that hasn't failed. 

• Like 2