Exhaust system for turbo

Item # 26 

Exhaust pipe f assembly

44101GA130

85&86 all three holes about 35mm inside diameter. No O2 sensor hole

44101GA160

87 onwards 

Hole under turbo ranges 40 & 41 mm

I unknowingly once fitted the 160 to what had the 130 smaller diameter. It sort of flew to 6500 in no time at all which wasn't too bad, but I was used to riding the torque curve with a little more control over a little more time.

Was happier to return to smaller diameter

Now recall my 87 AWD Vort also sports the smaller diameter so parts manual may not reflect actual in all markets. The 160 larger orifice pipes also sport an O2 sensor port and sensor

What models had sensor here?

About to swap in one of thescan't quite decide and cant

Thanks mate but not before host site homeland hits it eh?

I have this gremlin that starts ifI allow auto correctcorrect

Look! See?

I use auto correct option sometimes doubles up and cursor jumps back or forth

H.m.mm found I have the zinger 41 mm outlet on my abortion of a crossover pipe

I wonder if the underside of the turbo is size matched between the two generations?

The awd might dull the response of the larger bore zinger pipe because this engine does not rev out too easily like my other one did in my part time 4wd GLTA.

I hated it. Was too quick.

This might explain 130 in third the other day when dealingpass hole - I liked it then !

It has been pointed out to me that the later turbo also had solenoid control on the wadwaste gate. I don't have any controller on the waste gate though this engine likely did in its original body.

I think for differences sake the smaller 1985 style 36 mm orifice cross over needs to go in.

Done. Decided. Now for some action

Taken a few miles to get used to driving on the smaller bore up pipe. Now the power is there on tap at low revs not further up the rev range.

Has made it much more tractable to drive. Somehow the loud pedal feels like it isharder to press.

Theexhaust note from 2.5" system sounds tougher down low and she pulls out of corners better due to torque coming down the rev range a lot. Quite hard to make it do 80 klh in second now as job is done in power delivery by 65

Happy

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, jono said:

It has been pointed out to me that the later turbo also had solenoid control on the wadwaste gate. I don't have any controller on the waste gate though this engine likely did in its original body.

On Series 2 cars with the hotwire MAF, the solenoid controlled boost pressure. It was basically an altitude compressor and increased boost pressure a little at higher altitudes when the ECU detected the MAF voltage was lower than it expected for a given RPM/throttle position

On 1/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, jono said:

I hated it. Was too quick.

Said no-one ever

Timing now set to factory instead of possibly 30° btdc ( was off the scaled marks by long shot) small bore up pipe and twin core EA81 radiator in front the EA82T took it up a mountain test drive in rediculous heat twin fans on, heater blowing hot and she ran at 87°C , eight better than when she was in the donor GLTA

happy :)