Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who needs keys? or locks re-keyed?

Hi everyone! i'm a locksmith in NY and an older Subaru enthusiast, i've had 2 Loyales, a 91 and 92, in the past and a 98 Impreza (unfortunately none now, but i'll be back!).

anyway, enough about me...i'm seeing if anyone needs keys made for their locks? or needs their locks rekeyed to match ignition or whatever...i know a lot of you probably have different keys for door/ignition/trunk/glovebox etc. after replacing broken parts. if you're sick of that, let me know. if you mail me a lock, i can rekey it to a specific key. you can send either door or ignition locks and a key that you want to work in that lock, and i will set it up for you and send it back. probably for about $35 including shipping. if it requires more, i will let you know ahead of time and give you the option to just send it back without working on it for free. i can also do the same for most other locks, not just Subaru. 

Glovebox locks will require another lock if you want them to match. the glovebox only has 4 tumblers in it. the other locks have 8 or 10, depending on year and model, so i can't make a working key for your other locks based on the glovebox. 

you can also send a lock that you don't have keys for, and i will make you a key and send it back. that will probably run about $25-35. 

turnaround is usually within 1 day after i receive it.

just get in touch and we'll figure it out. i'll let you know what you need to send.

Paypal, Money orders, Zelle, even checks are ok (but you will have to wait until the check clears)

ADMINS: if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it or whatever needs doing

Edited by robmillion
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Welcome back. It could help to post your old username as some people might hesitate to send locks and keys to a first time, new username.

my old name was subarubuddy, no idea what my password was or even what email I used to sign up...so i'm going with this name now. its what I use for everything. I don't think anyone really knew me back then anyway though. I didn't post all that much, I was more of a reader. maybe offered a little advice here and there but that was about it. and yeah, I understand that completely about not wanting to send me locks and keys; I don't have any way to prove i'm not a scumbag. I figured low risk, medium reward, you know?...send a $5 junkyard lock and a $2 key and get them to match a few days later for about $35...i'm not here to rip anyone off, but unfortunately I can't prove it. I have a NYC locksmith license if that means anything ??

9 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

This is a wonderful service!  Thank you for offering it to our community!

no problem! glad to help if anyone needs it

Edited by robmillion
  • Like 1

One thing specific to this board, and I would do if I had time to remove them from my cars, is having cylinders matched to existing old NLA keys that are nearly impossible to find. I’ve got NLA OEM keys and multiple sets of lock cylinders I could match them too. They’d already be sent your way if I didn’t have to remove them from the car. Haha 

42 minutes ago, DaveT said:

are key blanks available for the loyale models?

yes. not OEM, but ILCO, JMA, and others make them still. I can get blanks that will work going all the way to the 70s at least, maybe further.

i'm trying to source original Subaru blanks from back then but they will probably be expensive, if I can even find any at all. if you have original cut keys you would like to use, and a lock that doesn't work with them, I can rekey the lock for you so your key will work in it. the only requirement is that the key has to fit into the lock.

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

Mine are working.  But this just made me think of getting copies made, since I've worn out keys in the past.  Not sure if anyplace local would still have blanks.  Don't need OEM, just want them to work.

a locksmith local to you should be able to get them easily enough, at least if they do automotive locksmithery--not all locksmiths do cars.

it probably wouldn't be worth it to send them to me just to copy, with the shipping and waiting and all...but i'd do it if you can't find anyone else near you. i'd have to check the exact prices for the blanks but I could probably do it for $3-$5 a key including shipping. 

also, any internet archeologists out there who find this thread, feel free to exhume it from its ancient grave even if you find it years from now. i'll be able to offer this pretty much forever (well, limited by my lifespan), so get in touch if you need it. 

• 1 month later...

A couple months ago, I lost my only master key, and turns out both of my spares are valet keys that don't lock the hatch or glove box. This causes three problems:

1. I can't lock the trunk with my current key.

2. I had to break into the glove box. The lock core is now broken. Turns out finding a new glove box lock core for a '84 GL isn't easy, regardless of key issues.

3. Subaru says the keys are too old to use their VIN lookup tool to make me a new one.

What do you suggest I do? How can I get a new master key made? Any ideas on the glove box?

that sucks. well, i'll try to help.

does the valet key fit in the trunk and not turn? or is it a completely different key? all the information I have going back that far is contradictory. some of it makes no mention of valet keys at all. some shows the same code series for both master and valet (which doesn't make sense), and some shows different code series but same key blank (which really doesn't make sense since the cuts are the same in all positions on all the keys/locks).

my guess is that the blank is actually different and doesn't fit all the way into the lock (or maybe not  at all). if that's the case, you can try getting the key copied at a locksmith. let them know this is a valet key but you need it copied onto a master blank. if the locks were never changed it should be the same cuts, so it should work. Make sure to bring your drivers license and the car's registration or insurance card to match. some locksmiths may be suspicious (I would be) of someone who wants to get a valet key copied onto a master blank. anyway, this will only work if my guess is correct that the valet key doesn't fit the lock. but it's only probably a $3-$5 gamble, so i'd say it's worth a try. [EDIT: they would probably charge more because it would involve looking up the compatible blank to copy the key onto instead of just finding the same one you brought in. i'd still say it's the way to go though.]

as for the glovebox lock, I can't help you get one, but if you find one at a junkyard or something I can re-key it to your key. even if it doesn't come with any keys. I would just need you to send it with a copy of the key you want to work with it. 

Edited by robmillion

Yes, they are DA123 or 124 I think for the Loyale. I'm not sure for older Subarus. I'll check later, I don't have access to that info right now. 84 was the last year of the previous generation i believe. Nissan and Subaru used the same locks and codes for a long time, even going back to the Datsun days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 4:58 AM, robmillion said:

that sucks. well, i'll try to help.

does the valet key fit in the trunk and not turn? or is it a completely different key? all the information I have going back that far is contradictory. some of it makes no mention of valet keys at all. some shows the same code series for both master and valet (which doesn't make sense), and some shows different code series but same key blank (which really doesn't make sense since the cuts are the same in all positions on all the keys/locks).

my guess is that the blank is actually different and doesn't fit all the way into the lock (or maybe not  at all). if that's the case, you can try getting the key copied at a locksmith. let them know this is a valet key but you need it copied onto a master blank. if the locks were never changed it should be the same cuts, so it should work. Make sure to bring your drivers license and the car's registration or insurance card to match. some locksmiths may be suspicious (I would be) of someone who wants to get a valet key copied onto a master blank. anyway, this will only work if my guess is correct that the valet key doesn't fit the lock. but it's only probably a $3-$5 gamble, so i'd say it's worth a try. [EDIT: they would probably charge more because it would involve looking up the compatible blank to copy the key onto instead of just finding the same one you brought in. i'd still say it's the way to go though.]

as for the glovebox lock, I can't help you get one, but if you find one at a junkyard or something I can re-key it to your key. even if it doesn't come with any keys. I would just need you to send it with a copy of the key you want to work with it. 

My apologies for the delayed response. The "valet" key as I was calling it is just an Ilco copy that I got with the car. I just assumed it was a valet key.

The glovebox is currently in the locked position and the key does not go into the lock. The key does go into the unlocked hatch door, but it can't turn the lock. I have a third key but the behavior is the same.

What do you think I should do? I could potentially get a glovebox lock and send it to you to get rekeyed. But why does my extra key not work for the hatch if there is not supposed to be a valet key?

Much appreciated.

No problem

Does the key have an number stamped on it? I can look it up later and see if there is another blank to use that's not a valet key. Some of the info I have for that car is contradictory, so something is incorrect. I may be able to cross-reference your key and see if there is something else that would work as a master.

It's also possible that there actually is no valet key at all, and the key you have is just a bad copy. the doors and ignition are slightly worn so it will still work with them, but the less commonly used locks (trunk and glovebox in this case) still have tighter tolerances and the key isn't close enough to work. If this is the case, you will need to get the key decoded and have a new key cut by code (not copied). That's best done in person in case something else is going on. I can decode your key and cut a new one, but without the car present, I would have no way to know if my key was any better, or if the problem is something else entirely (stuck or bent tumbler, for example).

Anyway, I guess first let me know if you have a key blank ID number on your key and we'll go from there.

Hi Rob,

That makes sense. There is no code on the key and I don't have any Subaru keys left. Isn't there a way to get the code off one of the door locks?

I've just run into another issue, my ignition is stuck, seems to be a common issue: 

Do you know how to remove the lock cylinder from the ignition? The lock cylinder is $15 but the ignition is like $200 so it would be really nice to just replace the lock cylinder. At this point I am going to have a different key for the door, the ignition, but no key for the glovebox or the rear hatch. Sounds like a classic ancient Subaru!

• 2 months later...

hey sorry it took so long to get back. i've been lazy about checking in and i didn't get any notifications about your last replies. anyway, i don't know if you made any progress since then, but yes the ignition cylinder is pretty difficult to remove. it's much easier to rekey the other locks to match the ignition.

in my car, which was a loyale (so it was a few years newer), it had a smaller key for the glovebox, but it had the same cuts as the last 3 or 4 (can't quite remember) on the regular key, so you could use your regular key or the special short key. the regular key didn't go in all the way but still worked.

• 1 year later...

Do they still make the wafers for gen 1 subaru’s.  I’m not afraid of trying my hand at rekeying. I have an 80 brat with no door key. Wafer kits look available, but of course no one has any information on Subaru's that old.
Any info would be great.  

i think they are still available. but the 80 brat and an 80 DL/GL are totally different cars, right? i believe they changed the GL/DL's before they changed the brat and hatchback. or was that only for the mid-80's change when they started to look like the loyale? i can't remember....

anyway, there are definitely kits for the early 80's DL/GL (with the ea81 engine), but if the brat was held over with the previous body style, i'm not sure if it would be the same kit. since becoming a locksmith and knowing what to look for, i have never seen the locks in any of those old subarus.

the kits come up on ebay pretty often, so it might be worth it to get one. you can always just sell it again if it doesn't work out. it will be listed as nissan/subaru because they used the same locks back then. ASP makes the kits. i'll try to find a part number in the next day or two if i get a chance.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:06 AM, croak said:

Thank you.  I’ll probably just go for it. Yes the 80 brat is the gen 1 <79 body. 

i just got home and checked my kit. it goes from 1970-1989 (i think it actually goes to 94 for the loyale - i rekeyed a 91 loyale lock with it) so it should definitely work for you!

it's ASP A-16-100. they come up on ebay sometimes.

Edited by robmillion
added more info