Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you use Old rear Impreza/legacy stub axles for a GL?

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, NoStyle said:

Would it be possible to use old impreza/legacy (~1989-2001) rear stub axles on a gl? The rear differentials looks the same? 

If your thinking what I'm thinking. (just the subs sticking out of the diff)  It seems like it would be possible but you would almost have to disassemble the diff to make them work even if they do work as the side caps (bearing caps) are a little different. I was wondering the same thing as I'm doing my 5 lug conversion and I may try it eventually, or just stop being cheap and go AWD which would be super easy for me as far as the rear diff goes.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, el_freddo said:

Rear diffs are the same. 

The rear shafts are not the same, hmthey have the outer axle shaft built into the cv shaft and I believe are a smaller diametre due to a change in hub design. 

Cheers 

Bennie

this is 100% correct the inner cup size and axle is smaller on most ej cars (except 1st gen legacys with sub diffs). So the GL axle wont fit in a ej cup(bearing is too big) and vise versa( bearing too small for GL cup). Some fenangling can to be done to make them work but that's on you.

Edited by jdmleggy97

Yes all subaru rear diffs with "male" stubs in them use the same stubs.  

You don't need to mess with the side bearing retainers at all.  

the stubs remove easily by removing the bolt in the center of the stub.  

IIRC it requires an E10 (reverse torx basically) deep socket.  Usually only a 1/4 drive type will be thin enough to fit in the hole in the middle.

The tricky part is holding the diff and pinion shaft from rotating while loosening.  not hard if done on car but if the diff is out it's tricky.  

I have a pinion flange and an old cv axle cup both welded to long bars of steel to use as holders.

• Like 2