Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own a 1998 Legacy Wagon 2.5 c 4 cam currently running stock 205/50R16 tires. These now need replacing and I am considering changing to 205/55R16. mainly down to cost, as the 55's are around two thirds the price of the 50's here in the UK. The assumed softer ride would also be beneficial.

The increase in tire diameter for the 55's would be 8/10" and  the indicated speed would be ~3.00% lower.

I would appreciate any thoughts on possible difficulties or why it would not be a good idea.

Thanks

jontyuk

That Subaru w/that  EJ25D and w/those tires would be a 'GT'  (non-turbo) in the USA. They should be fine, but MIGHT rub on the back strut spring perch. 

Also, your MPG and quickness (0-60) will we be negatively affected...a bit.

Got any mates w/a REX (WRX)? Those should be 55's, too. Could bolt-on to test.

i have a 1998 outback and can tell you that 205 55 r16 fit on mine great and do not rub anything speedo shows faster than really going though but not off much 215 60r16 also fit but very close and on mine they will rub on the mud flaps speedo way off using that tire.

Edited by sirtokesalot

Thanks for  the input received, all good info.

As wtdash said that they might rub on the back spring perch. that definitely is the closest point for contact. Even with my 1/4" tread I can just run my fingers around the tire. With a new tire of 205/55 with a full tread, no chance!

matt167 mentioned 195/55 would be only slightly larger than the existing and might just fit. But as the are more expensive over here than my current tire I have discounted that idea. sirtokesalot mentioned the 250/55 were fine on his Outback. I suspect that as the Outback is  slightly higher overall  than my Legacy that would account for the extra space for the rear tires over mine.

Thanks again for all the input, at least I now know that the 205/50 tires are correct and Subaru know what they are doing!

On 1/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, jontyuk said:

Thanks for  the input received, all good info.

As wtdash said that they might rub on the back spring perch. that definitely is the closest point for contact. Even with my 1/4" tread I can just run my fingers around the tire. With a new tire of 205/55 with a full tread, no chance!

matt167 mentioned 195/55 would be only slightly larger than the existing and might just fit. But as the are more expensive over here than my current tire I have discounted that idea. sirtokesalot mentioned the 250/55 were fine on his Outback. I suspect that as the Outback is  slightly higher overall  than my Legacy that would account for the extra space for the rear tires over mine.

Thanks again for all the input, at least I now know that the 205/50 tires are correct and Subaru know what they are doing!

ooo yes i missed it was a just legacy and not outback. im not sure if they will fit that car.

• 2 weeks later...