Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2014 has been using increased amounts of oil.  I'm outside of the engine block replacement court settlement.  I'm only at the consumption edge of it anyway.  What should I do.

00-15 K miles         about 0.5 qt/5000 mi

15-40 K                  about 1.2 qt/5000 mi

40-50K                   about 1.4 qt/5000 mi

I change oil at 5K mi intervals.  I use 0-20w penzoil, and subaru filters.  I collect and measure the oil use.  I already have an old subaru that uses a  qt per 1K miles and it is a pain.  I wanted to keep the 2014 for 200k miles but I don't like the increase in oil consumption.  I'm thinking about trading it in for a new car.

In the lawsuit against subaru, the lawyer said that the oil consumption would steadily increase.  Does this seem reasonable?  Those with FB engines that don't consume oil don't have a problem and don't have any useful experience to share for this thread.

Sometimes it’s worth asking Subaru?  While unlikely, out of warranty coverage isn’t unheard of.

Good job keeping track so you can see the progression. Now you’ve got good (even if frustrating) data to look at. At least now you’re not guessing. 

Use heavier oil, you have data to compare against and see if it helps (it probably will). Though a mere reduction in usage probably isn’t your goal 

If you get a trade in offer I might buy it if you’re interested in a sale over ditching it at the dealer.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in a lawyers mechanical commentary, though mechanically the rings are weak and that light weight watery oil isn’t impressive.

Im not convinced it is increasing yet.  with driving variations, ambient conditions, and other variables that 0.2 quarts is probably well within the margin of possible error or variation. 

With that in mind there’s been no appreciable change since 15k. Of course the future prognosis probably isn’t spectacular for them but I don’t knkw that Id be immediately alarmed. 

Low tension rings are the new now. Thank the Obama administration and their EPA guidelines. Enjoy the MPG benefits. Top off as needed. It's normal and expected for modern engines to use oil. If you "fix" it you will lose MPG's from "enhanced" rings the simply add friction and reduce efficiency. 

What's the problem with adding oil? When you get right down to brass tacks the issue is a complete lack of understanding engineering principles and trying to apply pre-concieved notions of what is "normal" to machines that no longer follow the 1990's rules of engine design. 

Subaru's mistake was not increasing the capacity and desensitizing the oil level monitoring so that it doesn't show low till more than 2 quarts down.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

My mom had a 2012 that used almost 2 quarts in 5,000 miles. The replaced engine used no oil in between oil changes. They got exactly the same mpg. She had a 2016 Crosstrek that also used no oil from the factory, and got 30-32 mpg. Until the engine failed. Repaired engine never got the mpg, and then it failed again and Subaru wouldn't stand behind it so she got away from Subaru

What's the problem with adding oil

What if it goes to 8 qts/5K miles?  I have bought 4 or 5 subarus new [I can't remember exactly] and run them until 200K+ miles.  Then I drive them to the junkyard.  That's the problem.  Would I be able to do it with this car?  

MPG is highly subjective to driving conditions and behaviors. Oil consumption due to low tension rings reduces the primary component of engine friction (ring to cylinder interface) and under the right conditions will yield higher MPG. That's a well known fact and it is THE overriding engineering principle behind thin, low tension ring sets. Regardless of your highly comprehensive statistical sampling of *one* car, the science behind this situation is well known and understood by all automakers including Subaru. 

GD

5 hours ago, mikec03 said:

What if it goes to 8 qts/5K miles?  I have bought 4 or 5 subarus new [I can't remember exactly] and run them until 200K+ miles.  Then I drive them to the junkyard.  That's the problem.  Would I be able to do it with this car?  

It won't. We have never seen that. One quart in 3k is about what we usually see. Subaru extended the warranty to 10 years / 100k anyway so your covered if the consumption does get too great have the short block swapped before you hit 100k. It's simple really - ask for an oil consumption test. It's free. They will mark the drain plug to ensure nothing changes while you drive. If the consumption isn't quite high enough get a vampire oil analysis pump and suck out enough through the dipstick tube to get over the finish line. New engine block. Done. 

Trust me the dealer wants the work. Even warranty work. Keeps the service department in business. Technicians got to eat too. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1