Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2010 Outback with 145,000 miles.  In October the throw-out bearing failed requiring a clutch repair.  a week following the repair the transmission would pop out of reverse.  My mechanic determined that a replacement transmission was needed.  Weighing the cost options (new, used, rebuild) I went with a used transmission (with a warrantee).  The replacement transmission worked for a week then developed the same problem.  I am on my 2nd replacement transmission and now after 2 months it pops out of reverse.  What is causing this or is being overlooked here?   

If its the replacement trans get it warrantied immediately. Junk yards have a warranty but they’re short. How many miles were on the replacement?  Popping out of gear isn’t a rare high mileage issue  

id review the FSM and make sure there’s nothing odd about installing newer MTs, I’m not aware of anything. 

If it does end up being something else, see if you can keep the old transmission for a back up rather than scrap/core it. 

1. They could have inadvertently installed the original trans.  

People have inadvertently pulled a part, set it down, then when reassembling it grabbed the same part, mistaking it for the replacement. Ive done it once and I’ve seen others do it.

2.  Seems like mechanically, if its not the trans, it could only be shifter linkage/bushings?  Though I’ve never heard of that causing popping out of gear.

its only reverse that’s affected?  That should rule out anything clutch related, which I don’t think would be gear specific. 

Edited by idosubaru

The replacement tranny has about 50,000 miles on it.  Much newer than the original.  Only reverse is affected. 

Are you saying that this a common problem?  What causes it?

If this has happened twice it makes me think that there is something else.  The shifter linkage/bushings seems interesting.  The release knob was not working allowing me to hit reverse when shifting to sixth. Would that suggest a linkage issue?  

No, not common at this age/mileage. if it’s seen, it’s on 220,000 mile trans that never had the fluid changed. 

Agree - very odd twice in a row.  

A couple here, like FerGloyale or GeneralDisorder have disassembled a number of Subaru transmissions and hopefully see this post. 

Edited by idosubaru

Check your engine and gearbox mounts as well as the pitch stopper rod. These can cause movements the could pull you out of reverse gear if the gearbox and enginencan move. I’d be paying particular attention to the pitch stopper rod. 

Internally, there could be a broken retainer spring on the dedent that holds reverse. Since this is a six speed as you’ve suggested, I’ve not go any experience with these. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Bad or improperly installed trans mount.

Allowing the tail of trans to lift up when reversing, which pushes against the shift rod in the wrong direction and pops the trans into nuetral.

the fact that the problem was in both trans shows it's not likely a tranny issue.  You probably did not need a trans replacement.  The shop just F-ed something up doing the clutch job.

• Like 1

The transmission mount and pitch rod suggestions are starting to make more sense to me as I think about it.  Previously, when reversing slowly, while releasing the clutch pedal the car would make a fluttering or shaking sound.  I thought it'd go away with a new clutch but it didn't.  Maybe the mount is bad.  If the engine has shifted pitch would that prevent me from shifting into reverse? Thanks all!

It shouldn’t make selecting reverse difficult, unless the rear mount is really shot then it *could* make reverse selection difficult. 

The work pitch stopper road will allow the engine and box to move in a way that it pulls you out of reverse. You might find other mounts that are toast too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Weird. Every trans I’ve bought came with the mount except JDMs, and I’m surprised they didn’t notice during dis/assembly? I’ve had them fall to pieces when taken apart.  

Nice diagnosis by FerGloyale.  Can you call the shop and see if they still have your old, paid for, and likely fine transmission?