Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spring washer direction brat front hub

long time reader first post, I've read dozens of posts all saying the concave side of the spring washer should face toward the cone, however just received two dorman spindle nut kits with the washer stamped with "OUT" on the concave side. I plan on installing the "out" side out, but that does seem to fly in face of what I've read here.

IMG_20190104_145435.thumb.jpg.45bb772d527236e3c12a7b24f5b58fbb.jpgIMG_20190104_151255.thumb.jpg.25b95a15ad7e772384f380516d70e743.jpg

Thanks for any input. 

And since it's my first post here's a picture of my bicolor '87

IMG_20180225_103253.jpg

Edited by jor2daje
  • Like 1

That has been driving me nuts. Bought the 2 new v split spacers from the dealer for the front and racket went away for a bit after install but back again. I really never found out the proper way these washers went and if no rain tomorrow, I shall rectify if needed. Thanks and Happy New Years all!

The washers in the pic are incorrectly stamped.  The "dome" of the washer should be out.  So that when the nut tightens it will be forcing the spring washer down, not compressing intot he already dished side.

Just search "spring washer" and read about them in general.  They are to be installed whichever direction allows the "spring" to be constant against the pressure of the nut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jono said:

Offshore manufacturing? Where'd you guys buy such rubbish?

Those were sold by Dorman under the Motormite label.

Notice the outline "M" between TAIWAN & the part number?

Not everything Dorman is quality.........

1 hour ago, BEECHBM69 said:

I honestly don't remember. I have since stripped enough cars I have a coffee can full of both cone and spring washers. 

I shan't be buying any more.....lol 

Dan

I wish I did this when the L’s were easy to find in the parts yards ;( 

Cheers 

Bennie