Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie d/r ej swap

This is a what if thread and a possibility thread. I have a friend in Australia that I buy my track car parts from. I mentioned to him doing an EJ swap in my 1987. He said if you do that then why dont I ship you a crate with an engine with the 5-speed dual range with limited slip front diff?! I laughed because i was thinking about the cost of shipping. He can get me a 100k kilometer engine and dual range 5-speed with front LSD for $2500. Now its also $1000 to ship. Im about to drop $3500 on a used car for my wife but now its got me thinking...... Any input from the Aussie guys here? How do you like your dual-range Legacys?

I’d like to know where he’s getting a dual range AWD with front LSD. Or is this box built already? Make sure it’s an EJ AWD box. 

What did the box come out of? Asking as this will determine what low range it has. If it’s the 1.19:1 swap it out for the L series 1.59:1; if it’s the 1.477:1 then leave it. 

Also what diff ratio is it?

All you really need is the AWD box though. You can add the L low range and your desired diff ratio once it’s landed over there.

The low range is worth the effort. 

You should ask your Aussie contact to leave the engine off the box and to send over another two or three boxes - then sell two off and keep a spare for yours.  Our EJ engines are really  no different to yours. 

Cheers 

Bennie

The limited slip was added by the previous owner by All-Drive Subaroo Australia. I like the Idea of taking a couple gear boxes over an engine but to get the deal i have to buy it and the engine. Theres also a place in Canada that can get me the same diff and even more custom gear sets that also deals with All Drive Subaroo Australia. I was just figuring the cost of an ej swap why not do it right and also get an LSD front for not a whole lot more.

1 lucky texan, i have purchased many things from Australia, including body panels. I have the funding and also pay for insurance. Customs can either be quick or slow, depending on how well the forms are filled out and if you include pictures of whats in the crate it makes it even faster.

What engine? That's a lot of money! Front LSDs are available from many companies, and typically run about $1k for a new one, plus install. Those transmissions find there way over here all the time, but they can be tricky to get your hands on as frequently people don't even know what they are, so the price can vary substantially. But it still puts you paying 1500-2k for the engine....so it better have a turbo on it.

What do you plan to use the car for?

12 hours ago, wagons said:

1 lucky texan, i have purchased many things from Australia, including body panels. I have the funding and also pay for insurance. Customs can either be quick or slow, depending on how well the forms are filled out and if you include pictures of whats in the crate it makes it even faster.

I probably am misunderstanding something. I thought you needed to have a buyer dedicated for the engine part of the shipment.