Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pesky coolant hose - block>thermostat

I swear it was.new old Jono stock ! Just replaced the thermostat gasket suspecting repeated unbolting of the housing for temp senders each side, caused a spray of sweet tasting green stuff in the region at unwitnessed random.

Then as waiting for coolant to find its level can hear feint wet.air suckling noise.

This little obscure ID hose had tiny hole just off the nipple - easy end thank Fuji

Quick chop and fix

Just not happy to see what looked new develop this  :(

Had the same thing happen here a couple times.

While intake manifold was out last time I replaced tube in block with 1/8 pipe 45* fitting & 1/4" barbedX1/8" pipe fitting + 1/4" barbedX1/8 pipe fitting in thermostat housing in place of tube. Used 1/4" fuel injection hose with screw clamps. Search, this fix was documented with pics here at USMB.

What's next to bullet-proof it?

1/4" copper tubing with compression nuts & ferrules?

Yeah but that copper line might fracture due to vibration if not brace clamped midway. My other block has brass barb fittings. Looked at the inside of cut off hose and very crusty so cantcan't be new hose. Gremlin strike keypad again

I love to use ea82 mpfi fuel hose clamps on this hose...beats those horrid wire clamps

Test drive was fine but time for new hose order

I had the same issue on the brumby, although it was with my sister for a few weeks up in the “hot interior” of northern Vic in the middle of summer. 

She kept topping up the water (no use putting coolant in at this stage!), temp didn’t flare but I was suspecting a blown head gasket. 

Once home I found it to be that pesky coolant line from the block under the intake - it was a steady drip at idle that got worse with revs. How she didn’t run it out of cooling fluid I don’t know. Head gaskets still fine :D

If you get an EA, this is the first hose to swap out!

Cheers

Bennie

And fuel hose ain't odd Subaru spec either. Fuel hoses also differ according to the grading printed on them. Efi hose thought to be more resistant to heat and chemicals of coolant duties, only in dire emergency. Not used fuel hose for coolant for 20 years !

55 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Beware of using fuel line for coolant!  I did that once, many years ago.  It failed in a fairly short time.   Chemical properties are different for fuel vs coolant.

Fuel hose was a stop-gap until I could get to NAPA store 35 mi away for real coolant hose. Fuel hose was all the big-box auto store had in stock.

Adding loops or coils of extra length to avoid cracking works for auto oil pressure lines, production machinery lubrication lines. I was being facetious with 1/4" copper line thing...........;)

Edited by czny
  • Like 1