Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL Wagon build thread

83subaruGLchick

Neat trick on those spoilers we didn’t get anything like that here!

When you say your 1000-1500 out with your engine swap, are you talking about an EJ22 swap? And is that the money you’ve sunk into the project already, or the money you need for the conversion?

Once you’ve got an EJ in there and you keep the maintenance up, it’ll look after you. Mine is SOOO much better in every department compared to the EA82 - but that’s not hard to do either!

Cheers 

Bennie

15 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Neat trick on those spoilers we didn’t get anything like that here!

When you say your 1000-1500 out with your engine swap, are you talking about an EJ22 swap? And is that the money you’ve sunk into the project already, or the money you need for the conversion?

Once you’ve got an EJ in there and you keep the maintenance up, it’ll look after you. Mine is SOOO much better in every department compared to the EA82 - but that’s not hard to do either!

Cheers 

Bennie

Yeah I’m talking about an EJ22 swap. That’s about how much more I need to spend. I still need to buy the flywheel that’s drilled out and wire trimming from SJR as well as the exhaust which I’m planning on custom making headers back for that so that won’t be too bad. I already have everything else needed at this time I believe 

I’m also getting really frustrated with the lack of information on these cars about the lifts. I’ve never lifted anything like this I’ve only ever lifted trucks and when you buy those lift kits they come with instructions and tell you about additional parts you need to buy. My lift kit although great quality from SJR came with absolutely no instructions, luckily I figured out what pieces go where but now I’m stuck again because I’m trying to find front brake lines that’ll work because stock ones are way too short and the rear Rancho shock that SJR and ADF say works I bought and it doesn’t even bolt right up either. I need redrill the upper mounting holes on the shock to make it fit. I don’t know if anyone else has had all these issues or if it’s just me? I’ve tried to search on here for answers and I haven’t gotten any. I WILL do a full write up on this lift kit once it’s completley done so it’s out there for everyone so no one has to deal with the crap I have had to. Anyone have any advice? I’m not a beginner wrencher either and my friend that’s helping me has built crawlers for 10 years and has NEVER seen the spoob I’m dealing with. Cheers guys!

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Front legacy brake lines might work. I’ve heard of ppl using these on their L series when lifted. 

Or try forester front lines ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you for this it’s something so obvious I seemed to have not even thought about it. I will be going to a local auto parts store today. 

The rear end is all together and DONE :banana:

only thing I need to finish the lift is front extended brake lines which I’m going to order today. 

I used a Rancho RS7241 shock for the rear which is supposed to just be the better quality of the Rancho RS5241 ADF and SJR suggest  I did have to drill out the upper mounting bracket on the shock to fit my bolts though they where too small  AB4C2C72-CF14-4177-A6DE-71EE42262FD0.jpeg

Edited by 83subaruGLchick
  • Like 1

So just to do a quick summary of what I’ve been doing to this car since January I have replaced the following:

Front passenger side e brake cable 

Front rotors and pads 

Front brake lines 

Inner and outer tie rods 

Ball joints

Rear shocks 

Front struts 

Front CV axles 

SJR 4 inch lift kit installed at the same time 

This whole process has taken a lot longer than anticipated and it’s partly because I swear for a minute it seemed every old part I touched needed replacement as well as waiting for parts to come in, needing money for the thing and so on. I also cut the fenders sanded/cut a ton of rust off and painted the fender wells and around the wheel wells and rockers. 

1 hour ago, 83subaruGLchick said:

Brake lines in and bled :brow:

0B0354C1-1042-4887-80B2-AFB1E57B0A64.jpeg

Everything looks great!

Get some wiring harness spiral wrap at Homeless Despot or auto parts store & wrap those brake lines to protect against flying rocks. ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alexbuoy said:

Where did you get those brake lines

STI brake lines fit the front of any EA81/82 series car (not sure about Gen 1s though).  I can also confirm that STI rear brake lines bolt onto EA82T/XT6 rear disc brake calipers (No idea about fitment to drums), just make sure the caliper is clean where the copper washer will seal against the outer body of the caliper casting.

WRX brake lines also fit but if memory serves me they are longer than necessary, but don't quote me.  Measure your stock lines, then look up the specs for the STI/WRX lines and make your choice.

Edited by carfreak85
  • Like 1

Update time yet again!

I just wanted to also say thank you guys that follow this and like my build it's awesome to see that although I'm mostly posting here for myself some people actually like seeing it as much as I do!  Okay so onto the updates, the steering shaft is in and extended I also replaced the crankcase breather hose because I went to move it out of my way and it just broke into like 10 pieces.. also had to get a longer vaccum hose from the intake to the brake booster due to the lift and shorten the lower radiator hose due to the lift as well!  I started her up last night in hopes of moving and driving her but I cant get it into reverse due to it hitting the body around the shifter so I'm just going to hammer it out a little and put the carpet back over it and you won't even be able to tell.  I figure while I'm there I'll probably due that 4 speed slop fix that I saw that involves self tappers...

PICTURES TO FOLLOW! ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR FOLLOWING THE BUILD.

• Like 1

Self tappers used in the slot and bolt trick? I’ve not heard of that. 

What I did is probably what’s documented in the threads above: remove the tube piece with the ~45* angle bar on it that goes to the lever pivot. 

Grind/cut a good slot in the tube, perpendicular to the bolt holes so that the slot goes beyond where the holes are. I cut my slot to be about 3mm wide. 

hyy8.jpg

um0f.jpg

Replace on the vehicle then drill the hole out to a larger size, this includes drilling the gear selector rod. Have a bolt that matches the hole size.  Place the bolt in the hole then do up the nut as tight as all buggery! 

A lock nut will work well for this job. 

You’ll feel like you’ve got a sports shifter once this is done!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 2

So car is all back together reverse works! 4 hi and low work! Went to pull it out of the garage and it made it to the end of my driveway and the front driver side axle which is brand new broke into 2 pieces. I don’t know why this happened because the lift doesn’t change the angles I think it was just a defective axle or something. Anyways I’m going to have to take that whole side apart again and replace that axle but I’m honestly so frustrated with the car it’ll probably be a while before I do that. Also the transmission is leaking pretty quickly and it wasn’t doing that before either, not sure what’s going on there. 

Don’t give up on her yet! You’re bound to come across some issues along the way!

I’ve wanted to burn mine a few times, I even lined up a better body but I couldn’t bring myself to doing the swap. That was about seven years ago now. She’s still kicking and loving the offroad stuff!

K1f9Vj.jpg

Cheers 

Bennie