Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL Wagon build thread

83subaruGLchick

2 hours ago, BeardedWrench said:

if you don't mind, what paint did you use? i'm working on my brat and i've been trying out different paints on suspension parts, none of super impressed me yet

I used Krylon Rust Tough Enamel in black, that is what I painted the entire underbody, fender wells, and the suspension pieces with and its been on for about 6 months and I have off roaded the car and daily driven it and none of it is peeling or coming off yet.  I did a lot of prep work though with sanding and cleaning.  I will continue to use the same stuff as I see fit on this car.

27 minutes ago, 83subaruGLchick said:

I used Krylon Rust Tough Enamel in black, that is what I painted the entire underbody, fender wells, and the suspension pieces with and its been on for about 6 months and I have off roaded the car and daily driven it and none of it is peeling or coming off yet.  I did a lot of prep work though with sanding and cleaning.  I will continue to use the same stuff as I see fit on this car.

what sort of prep process do you go through? currently i'm sandblasting parts, then cleaning further with a wire wheel, blowing all the dust off, cleaning with pre-paint prep solvent, using self etching primer, then painting with rollbar and chassis spray paint from VHT, it works okay, but i've noticed if i run my finger nail across it, most of the stuff is just coming right off, i'm a mechanic not a painter so this is pretty new to me lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, BeardedWrench said:

what sort of prep process do you go through? currently i'm sandblasting parts, then cleaning further with a wire wheel, blowing all the dust off, cleaning with pre-paint prep solvent, using self etching primer, then painting with rollbar and chassis spray paint from VHT, it works okay, but i've noticed if i run my finger nail across it, most of the stuff is just coming right off, i'm a mechanic not a painter so this is pretty new to me lol

Wow! You did a ton more than I did, I used this a wire wheel brush head on my grinder, grinded it all down then cleaned it then let the spray paint get good and warm in the sun and shook it and sprayed, did 3-5 coats then 2 coats of clear on top, its holding up well so far I had some brake fluid leaking and that bubbled it a tiny bit in one small area but besides that it has been great, everything I wanted it to be.

• 7 months later...

Good afternoon everyone!

I know it has been a long time since I have been on here and worked on my car to be totally honest.  I lived in a place for a short period that did not allow me to work on my car and it was not in a driveable state but I have since moved somewhere where I can and it is already torn apart in the garage!

Here's what I am doing/ have done now:

Transmission mounts (the old ones fell out in 2 pieces)

Finally extending the pitch stop mount

New battery and battery goodies (I will post a picture once it is said and done don't want to give anything away just yet :brow:)

New CV axles, I spent the money on brand new CV axles, no more remans and I am HOPING they are better quality and last longer

Also going to just do some little things here and there as they come up, I will be posting pictures of my progress on the car once again obviously.  

So happy to be able to work on this car again and get it on the road.  Hope all of you following keep up with it!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finished installing the extended pitch stop mount, the NEW CV axles, new transmission mounts, and the new battery, cables and tray and the car is in the best place it has ever been! No longer going through axles no longer having electrical issues.  I am starting my engine swap to the EJ222 here in the next few weeks, I am just finishing up buying the rest of the stuff I do not have for it.  I am also going to post other pictures of my progress.  

IMG-7999.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 83subaruGLchick said:

worst thing that happened was I myself may have broke my exhaust getting too cocky.

We’ve all been there! 

It can get worse, definitely don’t get cocky with water!! 

pb010089rs.jpg

^ that was ten years ago this November! There’s a three inch lift and 27 inch tyres hiding in that water. Engine was still running even though the left hand bank was under water.

Crazy how time flies!!

Keep up the good effort!

Cheers 

Bennie

• 3 months later...

Well the time has finally come!!! I have commenced the EJ222 swap I have been wanting to do for years!  This last I pulled the engine and detailed and painted the engine bay. Today(Monday) I have cleaned and starting putting things back into the engine bay as well as cleaning up old wiring and putting new tape loom zip ties etc on the harness. I’m hoping to get the EJ at least in sooner than later and then do every other little thing I want to do to it. I’ll upload some pictures of the progress and other things I’ve done. 

• Like 1

I have an 83 DL of the same color that I would be willing to part out/give away. Same color as yours too. Cosmic Blue is what they called it.  I liked it the best of the many old Subarus that I've owned. I like my 88 GL that I drive now but I'm not too big on electric windows and there's just something about carburators that made me proud to be using one to get around. The underneath on the 83 just started to rot away to the point where my seat was about ready to fall through the floor.  I've also got another motor and trans (T 71 A 1st revision).   Both motors are worn.  Lots of extra suspension and steering parts too, I think.  Would love to see any of it get used.

IMG_0134 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You still running those tires, if so do you still like them? I'm getting ready to do the 6 lug to my wagon. I have a free set of 16 inch tundra steelies. Looking for a good tire that isn't a 30in truck tire. Looking at getting the 225/50-R16. Need the wide bois as its all sand here.

• 11 months later...

Good Morning Everyone!  

Just wanted to post an update with y'all since I haven't posted in a while on here on where the car is at... I have started the EJ222 swap but I am doing a lot more than just that, I am also putting in a 5 speed dual range and upgrading and adding a bunch of other things too I won't be able to list every little thing because I honestly don't remember every little thing but as I go I will talk about quite a few of them.

First things first;

The next 3 pictures are of when I took the stock fuel pump, filter, and hoses out of the car and replaced them with a universal fuel pump, fuel filter and 5/16's fuel injection lines and clamps.  I have also installed a cool fuel filter in the engine bay with the engine that you will see uploaded here as well.  

I will also upload pictures of the dash and other random engine bay interior pictures of where I am at.  Currently the entire dash is out of the car, I am redoing all of the foam under the dash for the HVAC system as well as the dash pad just for mounting it and noise reduction.  I AM IN SEARCH OF A HVAC PIECE THE ONE THAT HAS THE BLOWER MOTOR IN IT MINE IS ALL CRACKED WHICH IS WHY I CANT CHANGE MY BLOWER MOTOR LOCATION.  

Currently working on tying engine bay together and interior which consists of soldering wiring together, tucking, cleaning and figuring out where I am routing stuff(like my engine bay fuel filter that took me a while) and like next is where I am going to route my air filter.  I am not going to put my dash back on though until I fire it and make sure wiring is proper and everything works.  I am installing an aftermarket voltmeter, oil pressure and temp gauge, all other gauges are staying stock. Also will be installing aftermarket stereo, speakers, cigarette lighter, and switch port.  I will upload a picture of my gauge cluster as well.

Exterior wise I will be doing different tires and a front bumper for sure since I have no front bumper of any type right now.  

IMG_9104.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome to get an update on this! With the EFI pump you might want to look into running a “swirl pot” or surge tank - have the factory low pressure pump feed into the tank, the EFI pump suck from the tank, fuel return line plumb into the tank and the tank overflow run back into the factory tank (or T in between the low pressure pump and the tank). 

This will stop the EFI pump starving of fuel and dying prematurely as a result. Plus it’ll help too when off-roading with some of the odd angles we get our vehicles in ;) 

Looks good though! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello all! 
I realize it has been a long time since I have updated anyone on here…. The car is still not done :/. I know I should have finished it by now but life got away from me, needless to say I am focusing on it hard now and want to have it at least firing by August 1st!  I have the engine installed and wiring in, lately I have been finishing up other wiring on the car like a backup camera, the radio, the new coolant and oil pressure gauges, and everything I also have other things to button up wiring wise then clutch in, transmission in, driveline built, exhaust done, intake piping, and other misc engine bay things! I am trying to take my time and not cut any corners on this build but it will all be worth it in the end!

• Like 1