Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Brat Short Lift

I've been searching for a bit and I haven't found anything specifically about how to lift the rear end (torsion bar) of a Gen 1 Brat.  Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved in giving my Brat a little lift?

I put a rooftop tent on the SnugTop (reinforced of course) and the weight up there makes it handle a bit squirrely.  I was thinking I could try boosting the rear end a couple inches to help keep the front end from getting loosey goosey on the highway.  

Admittedly, this is a shot in the dark so a simple "no, that's dumb" would actually be appreciated.  If that's the case, any helpful guidance would also be helpful.

Thanks all!!  

have you thought about taller tires? 155/90 R13 are what im currently running on mine.

i originally wanted to lift mine about 2 inches, but considering how difficult it would be finding replacement parts because of the extra strain the drivetrain needs to endure, plus custom manufacturing of some sort of bracket and spacers...

plus having taller tires helps to keep up with traffic better keeping RPM's alittle lower on the highway so that you're not "that guy" going 55mph in a 70mph.

Edited by Subasaurus

A properly built lift kit should not put any extra strain on the factory components. 

Putting oversized tyres on the other hand, will put extra strain on the factory components. 

The extra strain comes in when you do silly things like a 2 inch strut lift only. Do a 2 inch body and suspension lift and you’re still at factory angles on the drive shafts. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

always thought these EA71 4 speed transmission gears were always too small, in my own personal opinion, running at 4,000rpm at 60mph is more damaging than going alittle bigger from 155/70 R13 to 155/90 R13. engine wont be at 4,000rpm till about 68-70mph.

been working fine for me for the last 2 years.