Jump to content
rustfarmer

Valve spring recall

Recommended Posts

Just got a recall notice for defective (possibly) valve springs and dealer says they don't have parts or special tools so it may be February before the work can be done. The service manager says all the cars that have had this problem failed in the first few hundred miles. If so, why is the recall happening six years later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a darn good question.   FWIW, I have about 42,000 miles on my 2015 Crosstrek and no such problem ... so far at least.   

 

Is there any known production date range that's affected by this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nadanutcase said:

That's a darn good question.   FWIW, I have about 42,000 miles on my 2015 Crosstrek and no such problem ... so far at least.   

 

Is there any known production date range that's affected by this?

Yes.   Subaru recall

 

Here's the best way to tell if you're affected.   https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html?fbclid=IwAR2vy0i7HzJq1lO2eQ8kaG0WqiXtaHnGQ92y_Dd12RLit12wJGPAdnxO0-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recall is probably due to my moms old car and probably others in the engine run. It was a 2016 5spd Crosstrek and an intake valve spring let go and shot the keeper through the valve, then what was left mangled the cam and destroyed the entire driverside head at 55k miles ( under warranty ). It was towed to dealer and repaired. After repair driven 24 miles and brought back due to improper repair where they re repaired it and it was fine for 20k miles and the engine was loud after that. After 20k miles, a cam signal issue cropped up on the passenger side couldn't be corrected electrically, and they deemed it her problem, even with SOA saying they 'might' assist her, but she had to agree to sign a paper to pull the engine at a cost of $800 up front.. I told her to dump the pile and buy a Ford and she did.. She bought a similar year Ford Escape Ecoboost since she didn't want brand new again. The Ford has a nicer interior, and fit and finish. Just overall a better car

Edited by matt167

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, rustfarmer said:

Just got a recall notice for defective (possibly) valve springs and dealer says they don't have parts or special tools so it may be February before the work can be done. The service manager says all the cars that have had this problem failed in the first few hundred miles. If so, why is the recall happening six years later?

Probably becoming a recall six years later because the volume of infant failures indicates that there will be more failures as these valve springs age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rust farmer- im the service employee you spoke with at downtown Nashville Subaru.

 

we've had one tech receive training for this repair (politics of the dealership) and one left at noon today to do training.

we have the tools (nothing special)

it requires two days ( 11 hours of tech time)

Subaru just sent these out because reported failures finally met internal criteria to trigger a recall. subarus internal requirements are much more liberal than federal standards.

 

just call the dealer or any dealer with your vin, they will tell you if you apply. my 15 impreza does not apply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Crawlerdan said:

Subaru just sent these out because reported failures finally met internal criteria to trigger a recall. subarus internal requirements are much more liberal than federal standards.

That's kind of what I was getting at, Subaru hit an internal threshold of some percentage of the overall vehicle population.  Likely 2% of all XVs built, or some such.  We have similar warranty thresholds at my work.  Additionally, in California if a single part sees more than 50 failures (i.e. if the knock sensor fails on 50 different XVs) the state requires manufacturers to fix those parts and reimburse customers who have paid for that specific repair.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, carfreak85 said:

Probably becoming a recall six years later because the volume of infant failures indicates that there will be more failures as these valve springs age.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they are replacing these at an ALARMING rate at my local dealer. So many they can't keep the parts in stock to do the repairs. Seems like the cold weather is accelerating the failures. It is an extremely invasive job involving removing the engine, and I can see a lot of potential for young technicians to make mistakes. Also these engines are virtually 100% glued together with Three-Bond 1217H RTV sealant and all that has to be properly cleaned and re-applied leading to lots of potential for sloppy assembly. If I owned one I certainly wouldn't let the dealer do this repair. But then I can do it myself - not many have this option or the desire. Personally I'm glad I don't own any of the new chain engines. They are great if they have no problems, but when problems arise, they are too complex to be left in the hands of what Subaru now calls a "technician". 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My moms 2016 had failure at 55k which was repaired under warranty but botched, and then repaired again 24 miles later. Then at 74k miles the engine developed a cam position signal issue that the dealer and Subaru both refused to honor. Dealer replaced sensor, wiring and then a control box but gave up when they knew it was internal. She now drives a Ford Escape. The recall came one week after she notified Subaru customer service she had gotten rid of the car.  They had agreed the quickest and best repair would have been a long block swap, but she put the same money down on the Escape.. Subaru customer service told her they 'might' be willing to help, but they wouldn't give a straight answer until my mom paid $800 to have the engine pulled.

 

I think it effects 2016 Crosstrek only, and my moms was a 5spd. But I would recommend dumping a 2016 Crosstrek due to possible problems, and then Subaru to tell you CYA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 2013 Crosstrek was part of the recall. We were the first one done by Darrell Waltrip Subaru in Franklin TN. The service manager was very helpful and gave us a loaner rental truck and told us he told his technician to take his time since this was his first and he had just been trained. He also said that there were two possible variants of the engine and one could be repaired without pulling the engine but not so with the other. The repair was done at no cost and included an oil change. Upon return, the car runs quieter (less valve noise) and so far no further issues. We had 109,000 miles on the clock the time. We have had great service from this car and it uses no oil between changes, which I do myself using factory filters and Mobil 1 0-20. We hope to get 300K miles or better from this one, although we have had to replace rear wheel bearings. FWIW, you might think that after years of wheel bearing issues Subaru could have resolved this problem. We also own a 1999 Forester and when I replaced rear bearings on it I used Timken bearings and so far have had no problem but haven't run it that much since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 5:52 AM, rustfarmer said:

Our 2013 Crosstrek was part of the recall. We were the first one done by Darrell Waltrip Subaru in Franklin TN. The service manager was very helpful and gave us a loaner rental truck and told us he told his technician to take his time since this was his first and he had just been trained. He also said that there were two possible variants of the engine and one could be repaired without pulling the engine but not so with the other. The repair was done at no cost and included an oil change. Upon return, the car runs quieter (less valve noise) and so far no further issues. We had 109,000 miles on the clock the time. We have had great service from this car and it uses no oil between changes, which I do myself using factory filters and Mobil 1 0-20. We hope to get 300K miles or better from this one, although we have had to replace rear wheel bearings. FWIW, you might think that after years of wheel bearing issues Subaru could have resolved this problem. We also own a 1999 Forester and when I replaced rear bearings on it I used Timken bearings and so far have had no problem but haven't run it that much since.

Timken doesn't make wheel bearings for Subaru's. They buy them from NTN or NSK - one of the Japanese manufacturers that makes them for Subaru. They do this to "fill out" their catalog. What you bought is most likely just an OEM bearing in a Timken box. 

GD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw my son doing this valve recall job the other day.  Subaru made some sweet tools to compress the valve springs and remove the rockers and keepers.  Essentially they take the engine out, put it on a stand and rotate the head facing up.  Each cylinder is rotated to TDC and they apply shop air pressure through the spark plug hole (to keep the valve in place).  The valve rocker is removed (using the special tool) the valve spring is compressed and the keepers removed.  New spring is installed and then everything is put back together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mike104 said:

I saw my son doing this valve recall job the other day.  Subaru made some sweet tools to compress the valve springs and remove the rockers and keepers.  Essentially they take the engine out, put it on a stand and rotate the head facing up.  Each cylinder is rotated to TDC and they apply shop air pressure through the spark plug hole (to keep the valve in place).  The valve rocker is removed (using the special tool) the valve spring is compressed and the keepers removed.  New spring is installed and then everything is put back together.

cool.

I once read of using thin rope/heavy twine to stuff in the plug hole, bring the piston up to squish the valves in place. No air comp required! lol!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

cool.

I once read of using thin rope/heavy twine to stuff in the plug hole, bring the piston up to squish the valves in place. No air comp required! lol!

I did this in my Justy it does work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×