Ultimate Subaru Message Board
rustfarmer

Valve spring recall

Just got a recall notice for defective (possibly) valve springs and dealer says they don't have parts or special tools so it may be February before the work can be done. The service manager says all the cars that have had this problem failed in the first few hundred miles. If so, why is the recall happening six years later?

That's a darn good question.   FWIW, I have about 42,000 miles on my 2015 Crosstrek and no such problem ... so far at least.   

Is there any known production date range that's affected by this?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nadanutcase said:

That's a darn good question.   FWIW, I have about 42,000 miles on my 2015 Crosstrek and no such problem ... so far at least.   

Is there any known production date range that's affected by this?

Yes.   Subaru recall

Here's the best way to tell if you're affected.   https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html?fbclid=IwAR2vy0i7HzJq1lO2eQ8kaG0WqiXtaHnGQ92y_Dd12RLit12wJGPAdnxO0-0

The recall is probably due to my moms old car and probably others in the engine run. It was a 2016 5spd Crosstrek and an intake valve spring let go and shot the keeper through the valve, then what was left mangled the cam and destroyed the entire driverside head at 55k miles ( under warranty ). It was towed to dealer and repaired. After repair driven 24 miles and brought back due to improper repair where they re repaired it and it was fine for 20k miles and the engine was loud after that. After 20k miles, a cam signal issue cropped up on the passenger side couldn't be corrected electrically, and they deemed it her problem, even with SOA saying they 'might' assist her, but she had to agree to sign a paper to pull the engine at a cost of $800 up front.. I told her to dump the pile and buy a Ford and she did.. She bought a similar year Ford Escape Ecoboost since she didn't want brand new again. The Ford has a nicer interior, and fit and finish. Just overall a better car

Edited by matt167

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, rustfarmer said:

Just got a recall notice for defective (possibly) valve springs and dealer says they don't have parts or special tools so it may be February before the work can be done. The service manager says all the cars that have had this problem failed in the first few hundred miles. If so, why is the recall happening six years later?

Probably becoming a recall six years later because the volume of infant failures indicates that there will be more failures as these valve springs age.