Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where is the ign relay on a 1990 legacy wagon. i have checked everything else. i saw somewhere on how to check the ign components with a test light, it is suppose to blink if put to the right terminal during cranking. tried that at the coil in the center terminal and it lite up during cranking but didn't blink. so i am thinking crank sensor or cam sensor or igniter but i also don't want to throw parts at it.

The ignition relay from memory is a brown relay and will be with a second relay (fuel pump).

As for their exact location I’m unsure, but I’d reckon it’s above the driver’s kick panel mounted either on the firewall or more likely on the inner side of the dashboard. 

Unfortunatley I can’t help much more than that. A google image search might give you an idea of what to look for. 

Cheers 

Bennie

the fuel pump works. how well i am not sure. i took the fuel line off and squirted it into a bucket. it last ran two yrs ago, they drove it then parked it and it wouldn't start, so they did some checking and no spark, they took the coil pack off of a running vehicle and stuck it on and still no spark and lost interest. i changed the ecm because it smelled burned, and the crank sensor because the old one had a dent in the bottom and while i was at it i changed the cam sensor and the igniter box. there is 12v to the coil and igniter and the only thing i haven't changed is the ign relay but there is power to the components. just curious about the dent on the bottom of the crank sensor. how do i check the fuel pressure and what is it suppose to be.

6 hours ago, subpoop said:

i looked in the fsm and it doesn't tell me where the ign relay is just that  it is a brown connector. but i think it is ok because the igniter and coil both get power, what else does this do.

there should be a page that gives general locations of the various relays, controllers and sensors.. you may need to do a bit of digging, but it IS in there. I know this from when I had my 1990 LS wagon...

the page(s) you are looking for will look something like this... this happens to be a security components location guide for a 95, so is of little help to you, but there will be similar pages for the generation you are working on..

component locations.PNG

On 1/14/2019 at 9:14 PM, subpoop said:

unfortunately it doesn't have power to the ecm the fuse is good but no power to the ecm.

How are you verifying this?  If the harness has power, then the ECU should have it too.  Does the CEL light with Key on?

Check the underhood fuse box.  

It is very unlikely that wiring up inside the harness suddenly seperated.  

the check engine light does not come on. the middle wire at the igniter has power as well as the middle wire at the coil pack but the other wires do not have power. where do i check under the hood fuse box,  besides the fusible link?

remove the lower dash, should be only Philips screws, unhook some switches attached to the plastic panel.   then if needed you can also unhook the fuse box from the frame, it's only some 10mm bolts/nuts.  no need to unhook anything, but should give plenty of room 

The ignition relay ties to connector B93, which is shown in the drawing of the bulkhead wire harness on page 119 (page 1310 of the PDF), in the wiring section of the physical manual. You can find information about the power to the ECU (depending on which model you have, MPFI or SPFI) on pages 22 and 30. Along with the power to the ECU, make sure that the grounds to the ECU are good and making connection to the body and engine. The details for the power supply routing starts on page 14 (Part 5) of the wiring section.

• 2 weeks later...